Hog Ring Pliers...

DeeVeeEight

Fast Pedalphile
I am about to buy some hog ring pliers so I can replace my seat covers. I see some straight handled, and some bent handled. I also see a set (pricey at $85) that has straight and bent hog ring pliers plus some wide flat jaw pliers for stretching the upholstery materials. What have you used and what do you recommend?

Tie wraps, and 1/4" wide, maybe even 3/16" work like a charm.....and SO much easier to use....also, take a trash bag, cut it open, put one layer of plastic sheet between the foam and the upholstry, it slides into position SO much better, leave the plastic there....

An old friend who owned a trim shop up north told me these tricks....

:friends::crutches:

I use some $1.00 garage sale specials - I have both straight and bent - the straights work easiest, the bents are for tight spaces..

Tie wraps, and 1/4" wide, maybe even 3/16" work like a charm.....and SO much easier to use....also, take a trash bag, cut it open, put one layer of plastic sheet between the foam and the upholstry, it slides into position SO much better, leave the plastic there....

I just happen to have a big old bag full of zip ties that are not doing anything....

I just happen to have a big old bag full of zip ties that are not doing anything....

SO go to church and wrap your tie with them.......:clap::devil:

For about $30 you can buy a video from Al Knoch showing how seat covers are installed. If you use new foam, which I think you should, the new foam is actually a little over sized. In the video, you can see Al's guy use a bread knife to slightly trim the new foam bun down to size. In the video, you will also note that Al's guy has very large muscles between his elbow and hands. This is from many seat cover installs. It's a tough fit. If you use your old foam with the new covers, they very likely will be saggy. Mine were. I had to use new foam with new covers to get a good appearance.

mrvette's plastic bag to help get the covers on, is, I've read a good idea. Personally, I think I'd stay with hog rings instead of the zip ties. On a previous seat cover installation, 30+ years ago, I used nylon cord in a lot of places instead of hog rings/zip ties. Worked fine with never any problem. Currently, I 'm all hog ringed.

For about $30 you can buy a video from Al Knoch showing how seat covers are installed. If you use new foam, which I think you should, the new foam is actually a little over sized. In the video, you can see Al's guy use a bread knife to slightly trim the new foam bun down to size. In the video, you will also note that Al's guy has very large muscles between his elbow and hands. This is from many seat cover installs. It's a tough fit. If you use your old foam with the new covers, they very likely will be saggy. Mine were. I had to use new foam with new covers to get a good appearance.

mrvette's plastic bag to help get the covers on, is, I've read a good idea. Personally, I think I'd stay with hog rings instead of the zip ties. On a previous seat cover installation, 30+ years ago, I used nylon cord in a lot of places instead of hog rings/zip ties. Worked fine with never any problem. Currently, I 'm all hog ringed.

I tried to do new foam, but it was way over plump, I just gave up and returned it, put some thin foam cover and a few pieces around on the old OEM foam, but I have lowered the seat almost 2" by removing the rear mounting cleats off the rails, and removing the rug/pad from the front mount area, and the seat belt cover, so my seat is almost 4" lower than stock, I"m 6'5" and so long backbone, need headroom with top up....course I also cut a wide U shape up to the steering column height on the firewall, pushed it forward about 3", glassed it in, and then modified the brake/gas pedals to get my knees off the steering column....I drive in the James Dean slouch position, right arm on the console pad, left arm at 11-12 o'clock on the wheel...:shocking::p

These hog ring pliers and the rings are sold as a "kit" for around $15 - most VW vendors sell it, search for aircooled VW interior......

Get a good plier

When I replaced my seat covers I went the route of getting a cheap set of pliers. They were hard to use and the thin handles hurt my hands and I gave up after only a couple rings. I ended up getting a more expensive pair (not top of the line but in the middle) and the job went much smoother and easier in my hands. Also, I did new seat foam and didn't have to trim it at all. The job is not hard, take your time and it takes a lot of pulling and fitting. Before you take off the old rings, note where they are. Also, consider replacing the seat supports.