Rebuilding a 97-02 buick 3.8 series 2 ???

JeffP1167

Being that my 97 camaro is getting up there in miles, I've been pondering with buying a complete motor and 4L60E transmission and rebuild them both for when mine gives me trouble.

I don't know squat about transmission rebuilding so that will be done by a shop.

Have any of you rebuilt one of these motors and if so what mods could be done to it to get a few more horsepower out of it? I live in California so limited to certain things. But think I could go the camshaft mild porting route, forget the forced induction it's not doable here.

I believe my motor has 200hp torque unknown ... I would like to try and get 230hp out of it with a little jump in torque as well.

I know your all thinking LT1 conversion or LSx but I have 2 corvettes so prefer to keep this car a 6 banger since I use it a lot for running around and commuting.

your '97 has the 3.8 engine? When was the last year for the 3.4?

firebirdV6 is a good forum for the 3.8 engines.

porting and a cam should be noticeable.

Buick ? isn't it the same 3.8 in the Fbodies and in the GrandPrix ?

it should respond well to cam and some headwork.

Buick ? isn't it the same 3.8 in the Fbodies and in the GrandPrix ?

it should respond well to cam and some headwork.

I believe so, it could be the same 3.8 as the grand national had and those supercharged 3.8 found in some GM cars.

I had a 96 Firebird with the 3.8 and loved it, over 30 mpg highway and decent power too.
Can you reprogram these cars? Modify the timing? I was so happy with the reliability and economy that I didn't care to modify mine.

Ducting would likely be a bitch, but what about running a charger off a FWD 3800 and upgrading to it's beefier bottom end?