No headlight pics, and reducing drag by controlling radiator air

Yellow73SB

101_1731.jpg

This whole side will be blocked off to keep air from going over there and creating drag

101_1729.jpg

And heres how open the area in front of the radiator is with my modified piece

101_1730.jpg

Okal, let's start a discussion about aerodynamics and drag.

So, how do you think this will improve your cg and improve cooling? IMO, what you did will make your cars cg a lot worse, the frontal area is now even more open and the engine bay is a great way to capture air and trap it there. Also, you're screwing up the smooth laminar flow over the front and thus causing boundary layer detachment, vorteces and thus more drag.

Areas to improve are the lower nose part, to keep air from getting under it and building up in the engine and the rear. Also, finding a way to smoothly get rid of the air under the hood will incrase cooling and lessen pressure buildup and front lifting.

You might consider getting some cheap (light) 68-69 plastic grills they help to direct the air, you can always add some flat aluminum to block part of them off, also use the outer grills to mount your brake ducting....and yes cover the headlight holes...on my car (which NEVER sees the street) I have the three lower holes blocked off with sheet plastic riveted on.
redvetracr

The lower valance? Thats what I was thinking about blocking off also

I have the stock 73 side grills right now with brake ducts attached

The 68 grills look like they would let more air through though, but would they fit very good?

The lower valance? Thats what I was thinking about blocking off also

I have the stock 73 side grills right now with brake ducts attached

The 68 grills look like they would let more air through though, but would they fit very good?

yes the lower valance is blocked off...73 side grills are (or should be) metal, 68-69 grills are plastic...lighter is better. if you look at my sig pic in the grill area, that silver looking stuff is aluminum blocking off air flow.
redvetracr

Seems like the 73would flow less air than your car though

Right now the outside blinkers block some air and the brake ducts are right next to them

101_1620.jpg

This shows the grills pretty good too and the brake duct if you look close

The piece hanging down in the center will be modified to move it up so it doesn't block air

227590097-L-1.jpg

I used some rubber bailer belt and some pop rivits... Bubba maybe, effective absolutely.

DSC005871.JPG