I have never used a torque wrench on any of the bolts on the whole chassis

Is that bad?

I don't really see the point

Unless it's something that is supposed to move, like A-Arms or T/A's and you don't want the bolt to come loose.

I can't say either way. I've been playing airplane too long. I torque everything in the brakes and suspension. Like Turtle, heads, mains, rods, but I add oil pump, and camshaft bolts to the list. I do the oil pump so I don't distort the rear cap, and the cam so the bolts don't back out (I use locktite on them too)

:drink:

I torque all bolts according to spec....allways done it...don't know why..never had one back out.

Last edited:
All the engine bolts were torqued

The important bolts I just make sure to tighten them extra tight and loctite them

I am like Tim. I torque anything in the engine, and suspension too.
Try this Cris, Tighten the nut on the pitman arm to gear box as tight as you can, then torque with a torque wrench set to spec. I bet you get 3/4 to a full turn out of it.

I am like Tim. I torque anything in the engine, and suspension too.
Try this Cris, Tighten the nut on the pitman arm to gear box as tight as you can, then torque with a torque wrench set to spec. I bet you get 3/4 to a full turn out of it.

on the other hand tighten down the bolts on the intake then use a torq wench to loosen them up:surrender::surrender:I use a torq on what I can even though it came from harbor fright for $20 and reads te same as my old one.......

All the engine bolts were torqued

The important bolts I just make sure to tighten them extra tight and loctite them

How tight is "extra tight" and I don't trust loctite...

The experts will chime in and correct me... fasteners have torque or stretch specs so that you have the right amount of stress on the fastener. Over torque and you can deform the fastener or the fastened parts and they may fail at a load much lower than intended load. Some fasteners are a use once an throw away... under torque and things can come loose and turn tension into shear.

This varies greatly on the material and "grade" of the fastener, the way the threads are formed and the pitch, the parent material... you get the idea :gurney:

Last edited:
Like 84rzv500r said- an example. A ball joint stud is a tapered shaft into a tapered hole. Overtighten and it stretches the shaft or makes the hole in the knuckle oversize, or both. Too loose, and it's hammering around, wearing both, so now it's getting even more loose.

Yep, I'd trust that for sure.

Ball joints I just tighten with a wrench

Not that tight since it has a cotter pin

Ball joints I just tighten with a wrench

Not that tight since it has a cotter pin

Missing the point are we? :bonkers:

40 mph in a parkin lot is much different than say turn 1 or 2 at Mosport... Fail in 2 at Mosport and you end up oozing out of your helmet upside down in Alberta.

There are others but this one is most vivid in my mind... An I didnt have the benefit of a couple extra wheels and a roll cage...

Just me and Nature

Last edited:
i think someone who has worked on cars for years knows how tight is tight enough without a torque wrench for most things other than what i mentioned above.

i think someone who has worked on cars for years knows how tight is tight enough without a torque wrench for most things other than what i mentioned above.

I don't disagree but taking it to the next level requires more attention to the details...

Details are the difference between who crosses the line first and everyone else.
Well, ultimately YES....but the correllary is to have the MONEY to PAY someone ELSE to look after those DETAILS.....

eh????:suicide::stirpot::lol::crutches:

i like torque wenches and anything important i measure how much i tighten it.......also it works the other way to......ever break a valve cover bolt form over tightening it.....i will only torque those now.....and for transmission pans......if you over tighten a 700r4 pan it leaks.......

I don't disagree but taking it to the next level requires more attention to the details...

i'll challenge anyone here. We'll drive our cars side by side 600 miles to a HPDE, beat the shit out of them for 2 days then drive back 600 miles. If neither brakes down we go to the next track event.....and so on.

detail that