Still alive, time to think about playing with the Vette again

MYBAD79

Haven't done anything to my '79 in two years .... Was busy rebuilding my new old house and now it's almost time to move in, sell the other house etc .. And finally play with the '79 again ....
The manual steering rack setup has developed about the same play that the old box had - one of the first projects after I get moved in the new place (stay tuned) ... I Think it's a bad rebuilt rack but since I'm not a huge fan of this GrandAm rack setup I'll try one of these Flaming River rear steering manual racks next, got one of theirs in my Mustang and it's perfect ....
Anyways... Once this house project is finished and I moved in there will be a few cool upgrades on the Vette, looking forward to grease instead of concrete, gypsum and paint .... Lol

I feel your "pain" - 2 years myself working on our "Floating house" and not done yet! But this season I'll have some ('vette) work to report. Looking forward to yours too Karsten!

Cheers - Jim

FR also makes a power rack, the manual is very hard to turn in the parking lot

Only one I am aware of is an adaptation of the '89/series Grand Am rack, mine is power, and I put it in with help from TT and others, and my welder buddy who made the mounts, winter 01-02 one of the best changes on the L O N G list....I know that any ETO rack will not fit, as the rods are WAY in hell too short, need a CTO rack.....holy shit 15 years already..:ill::hissyfit:

I feel your "pain" - 2 years myself working on our "Floating house" and not done yet! But this season I'll have some ('vette) work to report. Looking forward to yours too Karsten!

Cheers - Jim

The only thing that kept me going is knowing it will be amazing when it's done ... 2400 sqf shop space and 2.5 acres .... Way more work than I thought but now it's close to being "done"

FR also makes a power rack, the manual is very hard to turn in the parking lot

The manual rack is a pain in a parking lot but that's what the gym is for ..... Girlfriend hates driving my Mustang because of that, above 10 mph it's fine.... Road feel and steering response with the manual rack outweighs that little inconvinience by far, to be honest, cornering fast ferls better in my Mustang than in my C6, too bad the Stang doesn't have the HP yet .... Lol ... That rear steering FR manual rack is what I have my eyes on .... I Upgraded the C3 suspension, got sticky tires .... And HP .... Now I want the same steering feel as I have in my Fox body ....

Only one I am aware of is an adaptation of the '89/series Grand Am rack, mine is power, and I put it in with help from TT and others, and my welder buddy who made the mounts, winter 01-02 one of the best changes on the L O N G list....I know that any ETO rack will not fit, as the rods are WAY in hell too short, need a CTO rack.....holy shit 15 years already..:ill::hissyfit:

Looking at the width if the Mustang rack it's not all that wide .... Even FR sells a kit now that is not CTO .... I think my $120 China rebuilt rack is just not well rebuilt ... Got it from Rockauto a few years ago, seemed fine at first but loosened up within 100 miles- well it took me forever to install it and drive 100 miles so it was probably 3 years between the purchase and it developing the slop .... IF it is the rack, haven't comleted my inspection/investigation yet .... Might be something else like a loose input shaft ....

Two years? Damn, I admire your patience and persistence.

Looking forward to the shop and project pictures.

No idea I had that kind of patience .... Uhaul is reserved for tomorrow .... Installed blinds today .... Getting ready to finally move in