Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Classic Corvettes

Old 06-17-2019, 03:18 PM
United States | Member

My Photos: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69427 View Post
I think I'll try installing this radiator to see if it will package okay, and if it will keep the engine temps under control at speed. I don't have any track days scheduled yet, so this might be the best time to work on it. I believe new mounts can be fabricated pretty easily to adapt this radiator to the radiator support framework. What I don't know off the top of my head is how I'm going to adapt the differing hose sizes (2" ID on the old stuff, to 1 3/8" ID on the radiator) to fit together. Some aluminum tubing pieces welded together is easy enough, but I'd like something that has some barb type ends so that the hoses won't slip off once everything is up to pressure. If anybody has some ideas/suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks,
Mike

Edit: Did some thinking (should have done that earlier). On my shelf of used parts I have a thermostat housing that uses the same size hose as the radiator (1 3/8"), so I can just use one size hose on the top. The bottom hose will need to be a transition size as the water pump intake (2") is larger than the radiator outlet. I did some math. If I run the whole length of the top hose in 1 3/8", and the majority of the length from the radiator outlet in 1 3/8" hose, making the size transition right near the water pump inlet, I can reduce the hose volume of non-productive water (water that's not picking up heat or dissipating heat) by about .2 gallons, or 1.7 pounds.

If you have a tig welder you can tack mig wire to the alum to provide an ridge to hold the hose on. we did it on my radiator.

You only get to choose 2.
Old Yesterday, 02:02 AM
United States | The Artist formerly known as Turbo84

My Photos: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacyc3 View Post
Quote:
I think I'll try installing this radiator to see if it will package okay, and if it will keep the engine temps under control at speed. I don't have any track days scheduled yet, so this might be the best time to work on it. I believe new mounts can be fabricated pretty easily to adapt this radiator to the radiator support framework. What I don't know off the top of my head is how I'm going to adapt the differing hose sizes (2" ID on the old stuff, to 1 3/8" ID on the radiator) to fit together. Some aluminum tubing pieces welded together is easy enough, but I'd like something that has some barb type ends so that the hoses won't slip off once everything is up to pressure. If anybody has some ideas/suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks,
Mike

Edit: Did some thinking (should have done that earlier). On my shelf of used parts I have a thermostat housing that uses the same size hose as the radiator (1 3/8"), so I can just use one size hose on the top. The bottom hose will need to be a transition size as the water pump intake (2") is larger than the radiator outlet. I did some math. If I run the whole length of the top hose in 1 3/8", and the majority of the length from the radiator outlet in 1 3/8" hose, making the size transition right near the water pump inlet, I can reduce the hose volume of non-productive water (water that's not picking up heat or dissipating heat) by about .2 gallons, or 1.7 pounds.

If you have a tig welder you can tack mig wire to the alum to provide an ridge to hold the hose on. we did it on my radiator.
I like that idea. Thanks man.
Old Yesterday, 11:37 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (41)

Quote:

Thanks,
Mike

That is some very outside-the-box thinking for a pretty damn good weight reduction...

I was thinking you might be able to find an exhaust pipe reducer... But something with a smoother transition. Im not sure what the coolant flow is, but going small to big on the suction side might cause cavitation into the pump