Modifying MSD distributor for EFI timing control

vette427sbc

This may fall under one of those times where I should just buy the right parts. BUT I might as well ask if this is as simple as it sounds...
I bought a FiTech fuel injection system for my car. I would like to utilize the timing control function of this unit BUT it is not compatible with the MSD ready to run distributors (what I have) The reason I want to keep this distributor (besides the fact that I already own it) is because it has a soft touch rev limiter built in. The pro-billet (one that works no problem with EFI timing control) does not. The EFI does have a rev limit, but it is just a fuel and ignition cut, so no soft touch.

The distributor I have has a magnetic pickup, just like the pro-billet, but it feeds to a circuit board in the body of the distributor that I assume does the rev limit, etc... So who says I cant just lock out this distributor, and interrupt the mag pickup with my EFI mag input, and feed the circuit board my EFI timing curve signal (instead of going to the negative coil post). Then the distributor remains hooked up as normal to the coil.
Is the mag pickup sending a different signal to the circuit board than what the coil negative post is going to see?

Eh... with some more research and it appears that this will not work.
Regarding a mag pickup signal:
This voltage is then chopped / filtered / amplified and used to drive a high voltage / high current transistor that switches the coil current.