C4 rear spindle nut tightening/torquing method?

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
Just curious if anyone has an easy way to hold the spindle in place (no rotation) while torquing the spindle nut. The knuckles are off the car, and IIRC, the torque specs are pretty high. I could just semi-tighten the nut, and then wait until I get my new halfshafts fabricated and installed on the chassis, and then block the tires from rotating, I suppose. In the meantime, any better ideas?

thanks,
Mike

I was just thinking about this yesterday, great minds think alike!

The only thing I could think to do is use one of the three extra holes in the hub flange to use a long bar with a bolt in it. The bolt would go through the flange hole and the end of the bar would rest on center of the hub. It might take one hell of a bar!

Maybe you can help me with this. Is the nut torqued to about 130ft/lbs? You wouldn't happen to have the part number for this nut would you? Looks like I need both sides and it is a weird size.

I was just thinking about this yesterday, great minds think alike!

The only thing I could think to do is use one of the three extra holes in the hub flange to use a long bar with a bolt in it. The bolt would go through the flange hole and the end of the bar would rest on center of the hub. It might take one hell of a bar!

Maybe you can help me with this. Is the nut torqued to about 130ft/lbs? You wouldn't happen to have the part number for this nut would you? Looks like I need both sides and it is a weird size.

Well, I've struck out so far. Apparently my C4 parts book is boxed up with a bunch of other stuff in storage while we've got the house up for sale.
While I'm still looking for the book, I'm also trying to eventually track down the part numbers (or find some surplus parts) for the (3) bolts that hold the rear bearings to the knuckle. I don't know how I did it, but somehow I've lost four out of the six bolts. I'm using '84 knuckles on the rear, so they're the shorter bolts, compared to the longer ones used in the later rear knuckles.
Looking at my '84 shop manual, it says 151-177 ft lbs for the spindle nut. It's going to be fun trying to hold this thing still while I'm tightening it, assuming I can find a torque wrench that reads this high. This may be one of those times when I just max out my present torque wrench, and then go with a touch more oomph.

OH Bullllshit to their stupid torque specs.....ten years ago a then friend with a '92? ZR1 and reworked engine to some 465 hp...mild rebuild for the times....he and I drove on a vette cruise from Jax Florida, to BG KY.....he raced the thing into the 12.5 second range on the strip, we turned around and drove home....

I had rebuilt the rear spindles/bearings...all that BS and stuck some locktight red on it....torqued to much less than that spec....

case closed.....

:bestwishes:

The torque spec is about 180 Ft lbs. It should be done while the wheels are on the ground, then install the cap and cotter pin.

Randy