Strip Tease

DeeVeeEight

Fast Pedalphile
I am stripping my 'Vette all the way down to the bare FG. There are so many different kinds of paint on this car, some comes off easy, some takes much more effort. In some places there are at least 3 coats of paint on the car, in others just one or two. There were so many different kinds of blems in my paint that I figured it was best to just take it all off.

100_0899.jpg

100_0904.jpg
[/IMG]

100_0905.jpg

100_0910.jpg
[/IMG]

That's a great rear high quarter shot in the driveway.
You can see in the pic why I'm planning on doing a KAMM Back mod on the rear end! Weight loss etc too.
I've got some pics of stripping my 78 from DECADES ago (87-88). No easy job- but you're looking good! I expect you'll block the seams too.

Cheers - Jim

So YOU own my Bayliner now....looks like a Capri, mine was a bowrider from '85....Volvo I/O and engine....I put FI on it, and gained all sorts of power and operational ease.....:harhar::nuts:

Gene,
It's an '03 18' Capri with a 4.3 Mercruiser. You wanna fuel inject it for me? Hopefully I'll get better gas mileage!

That's a great rear high quarter shot in the driveway.
You can see in the pic why I'm planning on doing a KAMM Back mod on the rear end! Weight loss etc too.
I've got some pics of stripping my 78 from DECADES ago (87-88). No easy job- but you're looking good! I expect you'll block the seams too.

Cheers - Jim

OK - so what's a KAMM back mod?

So YOU own my Bayliner now....looks like a Capri, mine was a bowrider from '85....Volvo I/O and engine....I put FI on it, and gained all sorts of power and operational ease.....:harhar::nuts:

Gene,
It's an '03 18' Capri with a 4.3 Mercruiser. You wanna fuel inject it for me? Hopefully I'll get better gas mileage!

18' with 4.3 chebby? and I/O?? 03 has FI already I would think....

the hull looks damn close to identical to my ~20' they called it 19.5 something....

so your boat should do a easy 45 mph....my canoe did only 30+ .....

fun times, tossing kids all over the water.....:twitch: poor little innocent child....

:rofl::rofl::tomato:

Gene,

18' with 4.3 chebby? and I/O?? 03 has FI already I would think....

the hull looks damn close to identical to my ~20' they called it 19.5 something....

so your boat should do a easy 45 mph....my canoe did only 30+ .....

fun times, tossing kids all over the water.....:twitch: poor little innocent child....

:rofl::rofl::tomato:

Carbureted, it will easily do 50+ on the water, close to 60 if everything is "just right". The 'Vette gets better mileage.

Chop the tail so its vertical. KAMM was an aerodynamics prof that had the notion that if a body does't move smoothly through the airstream - rather than create more surface drag with a teardrop shape - chop it off and deal with the form drag. Note the Ferrari GTO, Daytona Cobra, earlier C-3s, etc. Even the Kammback VW.

Wouldn't declare it a popular mod - but I'm going to do it. Rear bumper will be a simple tube mounted to the "shocks" in the frame. It will"off" a heap of weight - Inner bumper supports, cover, etc, Your pic is a good one because my side-on shot had the jeep in the driveway and it looked goofy because the jeep tail lamps were in the way and looked like a huge red/orange bumper. Photochop was some help - but yours convinced me. It will be March before I'm back to do it -- 6 to go.

Cheers- Jim

good job on the strpping so far, looking good :thumbs:

It looks like you got some filler from previous repairs and cracks, did that show thru the paint ?? I'd grind the cracks and sand that area and then fill with SMC adhesive/filler - Evercoat makes a good product that is a filler and adhesive, comes in a 1qt can.

What are the holes in the deck for ? Luggage rack ?

good job on the strpping so far, looking good :thumbs:

It looks like you got some filler from previous repairs and cracks, did that show thru the paint ?? I'd grind the cracks and sand that area and then fill with SMC adhesive/filler - Evercoat makes a good product that is a filler and adhesive, comes in a 1qt can.

What are the holes in the deck for ? Luggage rack ?

I'll be posting some pics of the passenger side soon, it is pretty ugly, lots of old damage. The holes are from the spoiler that was on there (the spoiler I sent to Snakeater and got screwed on).

Here's the passenger side and some close ups of the damaged areas.
100_0919.jpg
[/IMG]

100_0920.jpg
[/IMG]

100_0921.jpg
[/IMG]

100_0922.jpg
[/IMG]

100_0925.jpg
[/IMG]

Any suggestions on how to repair the cracks is appreciated. :smash:

I started the fiberglass repairs yesterday. Where I could I simply sanded off all of the old body filler so I could get to the base of whatever repairs had been made. I found that only about half of the old repairs had been done correctly, most were just bondo'ed over. The area over the back wheel had a crack that went all the way through the panel. I ground the area around the crack down far enough to allow me to lay in several pieces of fiberglass.
100_0975.jpg
[/IMG]

I also had to remove several broken chunks of glass and plastic at the front corner. I was able to insert fiberglass behing the damaged area as well as on the surface, hopefully it will provide a strong and lasting repair.
100_0971.jpg
[/IMG]

This area was cracked through and had no support. If you applied pressure to the top of the panel the crack would open up. I again sanded it all down to the bare fiberglass, then I put two layers of fiberglass behind the damaged panel to strengthen the area. After that I simply layered the glass on top. You can also see where I have filled the holes from the spoiler mounts. Today I will sand down the glass repairs and start with the body filler.
100_0972.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0973.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0974.jpg
[/IMG]

I am looking for advice on block sanding. I have a 20 gal. air compressor that I can use for air tools. What kind of block sanders do you all recommend?

I started the fiberglass repairs yesterday. Where I could I simply sanded off all of the old body filler so I could get to the base of whatever repairs had been made. I found that only about half of the old repairs had been done correctly, most were just bondo'ed over. The area over the back wheel had a crack that went all the way through the panel. I ground the area around the crack down far enough to allow me to lay in several pieces of fiberglass.
100_0975.jpg
[/IMG]

I also had to remove several broken chunks of glass and plastic at the front corner. I was able to insert fiberglass behing the damaged area as well as on the surface, hopefully it will provide a strong and lasting repair.
100_0971.jpg
[/IMG]

This area was cracked through and had no support. If you applied pressure to the top of the panel the crack would open up. I again sanded it all down to the bare fiberglass, then I put two layers of fiberglass behind the damaged panel to strengthen the area. After that I simply layered the glass on top. You can also see where I have filled the holes from the spoiler mounts. Today I will sand down the glass repairs and start with the body filler.
100_0972.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0973.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0974.jpg
[/IMG]

I am looking for advice on block sanding. I have a 20 gal. air compressor that I can use for air tools. What kind of block sanders do you all recommend?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARD-TAI-AF44A/

These work well, especially the round one and 1/3 size. Tracdogg told me to use a coke can and paint sticks--they work fantastic, and cheaper. A body shop friend gave me the durablocks, but I was satified with Tracdogg's method.

Question, is tracdog the same guy who is helping Stigner with his build?
I think his name's Mike

Yes, and more patience than a saint I may add.....course it's easy with a guy dedicated like Stinger.....quick studies with 1/2 a brain+ are always welcome.....

:drink:

Thanks for the link for the durablocks. Is power sanding at this stage not recommended? :waxer: I am finished with the repairs of the broken 'glass and am ready for body filler.

Get rid of the old repairs and redo them. For all you know the previous owner could have been eating greasy KFC as he was doing the repairs.