C5 m/c cap interchangeability?

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
Just curious if Chevrolet had the good sense to use a corporate cap for the C5/C6 master cylinder. Mine was missing when I got back from the second track session yesterday. Either I didn't "tighten" it enough when I checked the fluid, or it somehow vibrated loose. Either way, I need to get a replacement cap, and I prefer to pay used part pricing for it rather than buying a new Corvette part. Here's an old picture that shows part of the cap.

IM001092.jpg

Thanks for any help.

They sell replacement caps at Autozone and NAPA. They are those HELP! tagged (think they are made by Dorman)

Edit: Sure enough:

Motormite/Master Cylinder Cap
For your 2000 Chevrolet Corvette 5.7L SFI 8cyl

Part Number: 42042
Weight: 0.044 lbs
Notes: Dorman - HELP! - (Carded)

Lucked out!

Perused my favorite junkyard the other week and found a couple m/c caps (one to use and a backup in the spare parts box) for dirt cheap. Every now and then GM takes their head out of their ass and commonizes a decent part over a broad range of cars. Fortunately this was one. Yeah, I realize these pieces aren't expensive new, but for some reason I just enjoy saving a buck pulling parts off of a junked car.

but for some reason I just enjoy saving a buck pulling parts off of a junked car.

same here.... it's been a long time since I've been to a "U pull it" yard.....

There's one in the KC area that advertises some extra discount during holidays. (I'm assuming their business is normally pretty slow those days.) I'm just cheap enough to make my list and wait for the next time I hear their holiday advertisement on the radio.

There's a really nice one on 50, in Titusville ... then there are two near my house.... yet I still haven't made it there in over two years..... :confused2::push::footmouth:

I tend to stay away if the weather is not nice and sunny/pretty, but I have been a junkyard hotrodder for some 50 years.....there is a joint in Rockville Md, about 5 miles from where I used to live, called Rockvill GM, they specialized in GM only.....I used to pick up some nice stuff for nearly nothing...

down here the U pullit yards handle all brands, which is ok also...

but one tough momma to find in any yards here is the Hydroboost, seems everyone and their dawgs wants it for replacing sucky vacuum systems....I can't call them boosters, sorry.....

I mean, how else can you have Ford brakes on the back of a Chebby P30 motor home, Ford rims on a GM axle, a Chrysler compressor for the a/c and manage to replace seats, steering column/wheel, and convert to power steering.....

:huh2::crutches:

Just got back from Indiana (and Michigan). Went over to visit some old friends, and did some track time while I was there. Went to Gingerman Raceway in Michigan for a test and tune evening Friday night, and then an autocross this past weekend near Kokomo where I used to live/work. A friend of mine (Alec, a 16 year old who I've been "big brothering" for a bunch of years) was helping me change tires (putting some Hoosiers on for the autocross) when an annoying, then amusing incident happened. When Alec let the car down off the jack the master cylinder cap fell on the ground. I started cussing up a storm, trying to figure out how the hell the caps keep falling off the damn master cylinder. I opened the hood, and there was still a cap on the master cylinder. I was relieved at that, and then chuckled because the original cap had apparently fell down behind the side gill, and stayed there for the remaining two sessions at Topeka last month, and also an evening of track time at Gingerman. So now it looks like I've got two spares instead of one.

That's always the way it works. Now that you have a backup, you will never lose one again.

Amazing that it stayed there until the car was jacked up.