Oil Sender Location for BBC

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
Where is the oil sender located on a BBC? Above the filter are two ports. The port in the center above the oil filter (where I have the gauge) is a 3/8 thread and the smaller one to the left is a 1/8 thread. The sender I have has a 1/8 thread. I presume this is where it is located but some (people on the internet) say to mount at the front of the engine near the oil pan. There is indeed a 1/8 port there but it's kind of an awkward location and I don't think I have ever seen an oil sender mounted at the front of an engine. However, it's unlikely I would have noticed where it was mounted.

45cb39ff881fb1.jpg

45cb39ff86730b.jpg

Looks like the factory location is the 1/8 port above the oil filter. Putting it in the front of the engine is not going to work. Found this on the net in a discussion on this topic.

45cb9a6b0755a5.jpg

I'm a bit late to the party, but the location where you have the pressure gauge installed in the picture is the stock pressure gauge tap point on my '69.

That makes sense. When I was looking into this there was information which indicated that the 3/8 port was before the filter so you shouldn't use that port. Thinking that through doesn't make sense though. If my filter was so plugged up that the filter was clogged (to an extent that the bypass was opened), I would have a lots of advance warning. Thanks

It's been too long. These days I have a hard time figuring out where that screwdriver went to, that was just in my hand.

They are mid-length SS. Here is a picture on the rolling chassis. They wont fit a Corvette without a lot of clearancing in the footwell.

1709147157643.png