Carburetor cleaning sulutions

BangkokDean

I have posted this on a different link and found most everyone uses prepared commercial carburetor cleaner. Over here there are no such cleaner available so one person has in the past used lacquer thinner to soak the carb parts in. Does anyone else have a suggestion to what they would mix to do the job? I was thinking a 20% phosphoric acid mix would work.

Any one have a suggestion?

I've used spray can style carburetor cleaner on my motorbike carb and it did not clean out the gummed up fuel.... soaking in lacquer thinner should do the trick.
I am surprised you can't get nasty chemicals over there - I expected the regulations to be less "green".
In Europe (Germany) they have a little logo on spray cans, it's the little environment angel.... when you see this logo you pretty much know the product sux....

Phosphoric acid.... you're going for the good stuff.... LOL.... maybe try a 90-10 mix first..... (10 being the acid)....

In Europe (Germany) they have a little logo on spray cans, it's the little environment angel.... when you see this logo you pretty much know the product sux....

LOL !! how true.

Dean,
can you not get CRC Brakleen spray? or just plain 'ole brake fluid most likely will take all varnish deposits off if soaked long enough. Not sure how it would act on certain rubber seals on a carb.

Read this thread it may also help...

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=59008

c-ya
ToddG :drink:

Cleaning car parts in general has turned into a PIA any more, even gasolines don't seem to cut it as good as they used to for caked on grease....maybe I"m just more impatient....

but on carb cleaners, you all definately correct, they changed all the good formula stuff for crap now, so much so I not buying any more....use lacquer thinner, or MEK....they running the prices of that up pretty good these daze too.....

just commented a few seconds ago about my stereo cabinet doors, she was dusting and comment yet another formica sheet has come loose around the edges, and I commented back that this will be a 99th time in some 20? years since I made those doors, that I made them at my old cabinet makers shop, and he was swearing at the glue pot he was forced to buy, that the glue bothered him from a quality aspect, he didn't think it was going to last....EPA took the good shit off the market, sure enough..here it is, the evidence of his suspicions....

another instance, a old buddy and me built our own kitchen cabinets, he wife burnt out with the POS she was living with....so quid pro quo we used my garage and his cabinet tools, so we went crazy one summer, made two complete kitchens from basic mill cut one edge lumber...never to do THAT again, so anyway, when finish time came about Carl said to set it up outside on drying racks we built and he sprayed this left over lacquer he had in 5 gallon drums....he commented, about the EPA taking GOOD lacquer off the market, and that this was the GOOD stuff......

fucking EPA, everyone so woosed out about every thing with a stink to it....getting tiresome.....

:hissyfit::hissyfit::censored::surrender:

The phosphoric acid will etch the potmetal or aluminum and might leave the varnishes and gunk untouched.

Try boiling the carb in water mixed with dish washing detergent or powdered clothes soap or even a degreaser.

The phosphoric acid will etch the potmetal or aluminum and might leave the varnishes and gunk untouched.

Try boiling the carb in water mixed with dish washing detergent or powdered clothes soap or even a degreaser.

They say TIDE detergent is supposed to work good for driveway grease spots...:twitch:

Forgot about this stuff. Boil with a TSP mix, get the real stuff, not the fake, greenie stuff available at Homey Depot.
Clicked when you mention Tide, Gene.

Forgot about this stuff. Boil with a TSP mix, get the real stuff, not the fake, greenie stuff available at Homey Depot.

Just looking at some TSP at HD, wondering if it would work on car paint in concrete, ASSuming it would ever stop this shitty weather....:hissyfit::surrender:

Just looking at some TSP at HD, wondering if it would work on car paint in concrete, ASSuming it would ever stop this shitty weather....:hissyfit::surrender:

Depends what you want to do.
xylene will melt about any paint.
Car paint is pretty tough, you may have to coat the concrete.
I just did the garage, drive and back patio of a rental with this good stuff. Supposedly the EPA outlawed it's sale the end of this month because of the xylene etc. It's a shame, it lasts forever.

Phoshporic acid will etch concrete better than muriatic if you want to go that far. It will make it a little rough, to prep for painting/sealing etc.

The tsp from HD is crap, it's not the real stuff, but a substitute. I think my wife had to order the real stuff online at a better price anyway.
TSP is the the stuff the greenies took out of Tide and other detergents years ago. I use it for everything depending on how strong you mix it. It will even take ink marks off interior paint. A good prep before painting.
The only other cleaner you need is for glass. TSP can leave streaks if not rinsed well.

DSC09682.jpg

DSC09662.jpg

TSP is Tri-Sodium-Phosphate. Still available some places.

"Thyme" was the best carb dip. EPA killed it years ago. Shame really. Great stuff. Soak it 2 hours, and voila, NOS appearance. Didn't even touch the green coating.