69-76 T&T Strg Column Jacket Needed

JIML82

I am trying to rebuild a 1969-76 Corvette T&T steering column. I really just need the jacket assembly (the part that holds the column head and extends down under the dash.) I would be willing to purchase an entire steering column. But I really just need the tubular part that has the capsule bracket welded to it.

Please call me at (989) 792-4077 with any information.

Jim Shea

I THINK I still have my old on tilt '72 column in the shed, and I just this AM tore out my '71 P30 motor home fixed column, for a '79 tilt wheel...

you are welcome to any/all parts if they help you....

is there any reason that running manual steering with the tilt wheel in a truck this size, can hurt the column?? worried over the tilt portion of the mechanism....

thanks...

:drink:

Gene,
A 1972 Corvette adjustable column in decent shape would get me out of my problem. You can usually find the upper end parts. But steering shafts, back drive tubes, and column jackets are just not available. Lets get in contact.

Jim Shea
(989) 792-4077

Gene,
As far as I know, Saginaw always validated their steering columns as if you had manual steering and were static parking it all day long for a couple years. There should not be a problem with using any Saginaw column under manual conditions. From a safety standpoint, they never had a "power steering column" or a "manual steering column" with different specs.

Having said the above, it is obvious that putting manual loads into a steering column and flexible coupling is going to be harder on the parts than "pinky finger" type power steering.

Jim

Jim, Are you going to be able to use Gene's 72 column? I have a non tilt/tele69 jacket somewhere.

Jim, Are you going to be able to use Gene's 72 column? I have a non tilt/tele69 jacket somewhere.

I had a typo there, damnit, Jim and I have talked...my stuff is NO help...

he needs tilt only....I let him explain the parts angle...

:crutches:

Thanks for the inquiry but I needed a tilt & telescoping jacket and some other misc hardware. So far we have been able to weld the upper end back together. This is the major part that I have not been able to find. It would have been best to find a NOS part but a welded repair will have to suffice.

This column has verified my worst nightmare and has further convinced me that I don't need to start a second career. I accepted a steering column from a member fairly close by in Michigan (therefore no shipping problems). He thinks that all it needs is a minor "tuneup" and a new lock cylinder. Take it apart and the jacket is fatigued and broken. Lock bolt and other misc parts are missing. I have no library of parts to draw from.

It goes together Saturday with the welded jacket, no lock bolt, no grasshopper spring, and a new lock cylinder. The rest of the parts will be lubed and bolts torqued correctly. Most likely the column will function normally and serve its purpose for the next 30 or 40 years. The member will be happy but I am not really satisfied that the column was brought back to anywhere near its original state. This type of situation will only get worse in the future.

Hint! Don't lean on your steering wheel while getting in and out or your Vette.

Jim