Antifreeze fluid extractors

Guys, remember me?:surrender: Was this a loaded question? O well I will try to do more investigation on how this thing works or not.

Thanks, :twitch: (I think)

Danny

Hahaha ---sorry, man! Well just to let you all know about my experience this weekend changing the coolant in my 2000 Chevy S10 pickup, Man what a pain in the ass! I had to fish a 1/4" OD tube down into the radiator, use compressed air to get the siphon going, and even using air to boost the siphon I was not far from wrong on my time estimate: it took 4 or 5 hours to siphon it that way, I had to re-fish it & re-start it, and babysit it all fricking afternoon & into the evening. I had planned to refill with water & flush a couple times, but I would have had to have started a week ago. So once I had the radiator drained, I just poured in new and said "good enough".

Yeah, I'd like to know if that or any unit works better!!!!!

(PS: I got lots of Prestone Margueritas for anyone who wants to drop by & try some! I quit drinking this weekend, so I won't be having any, but hey, drinks on the house!)

Last edited:
Guys, remember me?:surrender: Was this a loaded question? O well I will try to do more investigation on how this thing works or not.

Thanks, :twitch: (I think)

Danny

Hahaha ---sorry, man! Well just to let you all know about my experience this weekend changing the coolant in my 2000 Chevy S10 pickup, Man what a pain in the ass! I had to fish a 1/4" OD tube down into the radiator, use compressed air to get the siphon going, and even using air to boost the siphon I was not far from wrong on my time estimate: it took 4 or 5 hours to siphon it that way, I had to re-fish it & re-start it, and babysit it all fricking afternoon & into the evening. I had planned to refill with water & flush a couple times, but I would have had to have started a week ago. So once I had the radiator drained, I just poured in new and said "good enough".

Yeah, I'd like to know if that or any unit works better!!!!!

(PS: I got lots of Prestone Margueritas for anyone who wants to drop by & try some! I quit drinking this weekend, so I won't be having any, but hey, drinks on the house!)
You can go dump it on Genes lawn he wont care according to him it is harmless,he might even drink some of it :sick:

Sierra is that yellow shit that blew up on GM, NO?? some such concoction that ate the engines from inside out....aluminum/iron/brass/what EVER was the chemistry and it blasted a bunch of bux over another stupid idea.....

anyway, hearing that shit, and have a friends then 'new' GM car blast something major over it.....I insisted he go back with green glycol and sure enough no more problems......

sometimes we just gotta stay with what works.....

:tomato:

Sierra is that yellow shit that blew up on GM, NO?? some such concoction that ate the engines from inside out....aluminum/iron/brass/what EVER was the chemistry

You're getting to be too much to take Gene. Would you pour out stuff that can eat up you engine block in your yard or driveway?

Read the link i gave you. Its propylene glycol instead of ethylene glycol. Its green. It's safe for your pets because our old cars puke this stuff out all the time. That was my main reason for the switch.

Flush it down the toilet

OK, just talked to one of the head guys at the city sewage treatment plant. He says for the small amount a citizen like us would flush down the toilet, it makes no difference to the treatment plant or quality of the treated discharge. Go ahead, flush it: it's a safe & environmentally sound way to dispose of the stuff.

John

All I know is that back in the 70's they were scaring us with the eminent new Ice Age. I am not believing global warming until I get my Ice Age they promised me.

The antidote for ethylene glycol poisoning is ethyl alcohol! It's the ethanase in your liver that metabolizes ethylene glycol and converts it into a poison that destroys the liver. However, ethanase has a much stronger propensity to metabolize ethyl alcohol (ethanol) than ethylene glycol. So getting ethyl alcohol into the blood stream causes the ethanase to metabolize the ethyl alcohol and with enough alcohol in the blood stream, the ethyl alcohol depletes ethanase and prevents ethylene glycol metabolism. Not being metabolixed, the ethylene glycol is expelled in urine.

This was dramatically illustrated in an article about an Australian man who tried to commit suicide by drinking ethylene glycol. He was hospitalized and placed on an alcohol drip. The story, if I remember correctly, is that the hospital used up all their pharmaceutical alcohol and finished up his treatment dripping vodka into him. He recovered.

Ethylene glycol (green stuff) is very sweet. Place a tiny drop on you finger tip and then taste it with the tip of your tongue. Then just spit it out.

I didn't read through the entire thread, so forgive me if I am being redundant. An antifreeze fluid extractor that I am familiar with is also called a turkey baster.

After reading through the thread I agree with saving the environment and not polluting, but those who think Obama and Gore are leading the effort, think again. You lead by example and Gore sets no example to follow with behavior that points to his capital gain. Our leadership in Washinton have made no effort to cut back on their travel or drive compact cars, but feel it necessary to preach to us. In fact, most political figures pushing for wind, solar bio etc have investments in their chosen alternative energy and lobby for it. If they have been running submarines and aircraft carriers on nuclear power since the 60's without mishap, they can start building nuclear power plants in my neighborhood. Talk talk about misguided, how about the morons who have refused to develop nuclear as an alternative? Don't get me started on how the USA has been run and the idiots who are elected to office.

There is an antifreeze evacuation machine available at many shops, call before going. You can do a fair job yourself, the radiator is easy, but the block more difficult. If you must get it all, best to stop at a shop with a machine and get a clean and flush. The cost is around $100. All my old engine fluids are properly disposed of. It really is considered a small inconvenience once you have specified a container to store them until disposal. My antifreeze goes into recycled 5 gallon pails with an o-ring seal lid and taken to the county waste disposal. Most of us do our part, but it would be nice to see our leadership setting an example using less energy, driving smaller cars and turning the AC temp up. All I hear is alot of hot air coming out of DC!

Last edited: