C6 Instrument Cluster in a 1981

bhays

I ran across this youtube video. Does anyone know who this car belongs to? I would love to know more about the C6 instrument cluster installation he did.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxRhlwM_RDQ[/ame]

I was going to install a C6 dash in my 78 Vader Vette but went in a different direction rather then try change everything to digital. From what I read, much of the info is supplied to the gauge cluster by the computer - ECM.

It would be interesting to see how it was done.

I have the complete cluster but will never use it!

Basically you need some sort of OBDII simulator
sim-inside_w-module_web_1.jpg

, but instead of the knob, it would plug directly into the actual sensors.

I'm actually building something rather similar, a CANBus enabled microcontroller reading data from the car.
So you picked my interest.
Did something searchin', but didn't find anything relevant.

I was going to install a C6 dash in my 78 Vader Vette but went in a different direction rather then try change everything to digital. From what I read, much of the info is supplied to the gauge cluster by the computer - ECM.

:drink: Can you post a pix of that dash, and give a few dimensions???

got curiosity up now, WTF, everything else is not stock on my car, may as well toss around that concept.....:gurney:

I did a little follow through on that particular unit - $900+ YEOW!

Was thinking a neat solution to get a HUD with an analog car setup - must be some easier/cheaper way.

Cheers - Jim

You mean the OBDII Simulator?

YEP - Here is Amazon:

126951cafd6b75fef.jpg

Note there is a "skinney'd down" version for $200. Guess the idea would be to pull the knobs and add inputs for the analog inputs/sensors?
I'm no "Sparky" so will leave that to some guys more clever with wire!

Cheers - Jim

You mean the OBDII Simulator?

YEP - Here is Amazon:

126951cafd6b75fef.jpg

Note there is a "skinney'd down" version for $200. Guess the idea would be to pull the knobs and add inputs for the analog inputs/sensors?
I'm no "Sparky" so will leave that to some guys more clever with wire!

Cheers - Jim

Simulator?? it's not a fighter jet, just use the engine.....WTF???

:drink: Can you post a pix of that dash, and give a few dimensions???

got curiosity up now, WTF, everything else is not stock on my car, may as well toss around that concept.....:gurney:

I'll get some pictures of the dash and the gauge cluster later today. But - I have to add the actual C6 dash is HUGE compared to the stock C3 dash. It is 22" deep and 54" wide.

John

The BCM on a lot of cars is even required to read fuel levels.
So add oil pressure, fuel level, and maybe even volt simulator to get everything working. Might be easier and cheaper to simply buy a regular ecu & sensors.

I think all of the gauges on a C6 are stepper motor driven (not air core). So you need some kind of signal converter.

Would be nice to see how the C6 cluster was integrated into the C3 dash.

I think all of the gauges on a C6 are stepper motor driven (not air core). So you need some kind of signal converter.

Would be nice to see how the C6 cluster was integrated into the C3 dash.

I going to get shot for saying this, but my '87 vette with the space cadet dash, I thought it was a strong point for the car, I LOVED IT@!!!!:surrender::eek::bounce:

I going to get shot for saying this, but my '87 vette with the space cadet dash, I thought it was a strong point for the car, I LOVED IT@!!!!:surrender::eek::bounce:

Same here. Remember the Camaro Berlinettas? Space Age Baby!

Personally hated every dash GM made in the 80's. Worst part of a generally terrible design phase.

As for the C6 cluster, if you can make it all fit inside the cabin of a c3, why not just use it as the arrangement and install conventional gauges rather than having to do all the headache of an OBD2 sim?

Personally hated every dash GM made in the 80's. Worst part of a generally terrible design phase.

As for the C6 cluster, if you can make it all fit inside the cabin of a c3, why not just use it as the arrangement and install conventional gauges rather than having to do all the headache of an OBD2 sim?

Yeah. That was the peak of the interior design style where every thing looked like it was made out of a rectangular flat slab.