Need help

Jclgodale3

I know I know...these threads get old over at the #2 site but I have added pictures. He says the car is NOM. Needs a new canvas top but frame is there. No original hood or wiper grill assembly. No original wheels etc. Based on the pictures, what do you think this 68 with 69 valance and later tail lights would be worth? With a resto mod in mind. He has the hard top but it has no trim or vinyl.
681.jpg
682.jpg
683.jpg
684.jpg
685.jpg
686.jpg
687.jpg
688.jpg
689.jpg
6810.jpg
6811.jpg
6812.jpg
6813.jpg
6814.jpg
6815.jpg
6816.jpg

I am sure the stuff that is there is worth a few thousand, but when they get that rusty, I don't know as I would take one as a gift. Honest answer. By the time you spend the $$ to bring it up to snuff, in this economy, you can buy a finished one cheaper.

By the time you spend the $$ to bring it up to snuff, in this economy, you can buy a finished one cheaper.
My problem is...I enjoy building them as much, if not more than I enjoy driving them when their done. So a finished one is really not in my plans right now...sooooo. $2000? $3000? less?

By the time you spend the $$ to bring it up to snuff, in this economy, you can buy a finished one cheaper.
My problem is...I enjoy building them as much, if not more than I enjoy driving them when their done. So a finished one is really not in my plans right now...sooooo. $2000? $3000? less?

Less $700-$900.... if the frame is not completely rotted $1500 on the high side. Like Bird said if the rust is as bad as it looks in the pictures I would look elsewere

Last edited:
It's a good thing to want to bring one back from the "close to dead" pile. the two pictures that spook me are the one of the VIN tag- look at the flakes peeking out from under the trim, and the one of the lower left side of the windshield- look at the rust that's popped thru the undercoat. And I'd really want to see the frame- at the rear kickups and T/A pockets.
Like Bird and Doug said, there's $ in there just as parts, but to bring it back you better have lots of time- and a fat checkbook.

The seller doesn't seem to be very "motivated" as he/she didn't even attempt to make the car look good for the sale.... offer $1000 and see what happens.... it sure needs a lot of work.....

I'm always picking up strays like that. I need a winter project, as I'm bored. Wish it was closer so I could see it ....Where exactly is it?....ha ha:bounce:

I'm always picking up strays like that. I need a winter project, as I'm bored. Wish it was closer so I could see it ....Where exactly is it?....ha ha:bounce:
Way way WAAAY far from you:bounce:

So the concensous so far is around the $1500 range? More input...then I'll share how much he is asking and so far, everyone is very far off:rolleyes:

So the concensous so far is around the $1500 range? More input...then I'll share how much he is asking and so far, everyone is very far off:rolleyes:

Maybe it has the rare, one unit only, factory installed shark gills.;)

I'd give him 4K for it, frame looks solid, as does the birdcage. It's a vert afterall. If I were building that car, 90% of it would end up with the trash anyway.

If he's asking less than $1500 then I don't understand why you haven't bought it yet....

I agree with TT, many parts will be replaced so their condition doesn't really matter.... I am surprised the seller didn't even clean it up a little - they didn't even clean out the leaves from under the hood.

If I were in the market for a chrome bumper vert I'd be paying more if this one was local, depending on frame and birdcage maybe even $2500 (again, after closer inspection).

So far it doesn't look great: needs a lot of bodywork, the opposite side quarter might be damaged too.... engine doesn't run I assume ? No pics of the front, what's the surprise there ??? Is the interior wet or dry ??

If this was my '68 I'd restore it to stock appearance but upgraded susp/engine... maybe a BB.... with sidepipes.... heck, I'd be easily spending $25K on this, thank god I don't have room for another car :D

Ok...he told me $10,000 OBO. I told him I didn't feel it was worth near that in the condition and NOM. He then said around $7500. He isn't advertising it so I don't know if he is just fishing. He is within 1.5 hours from me and offered to show it to me. No, it is not running. That is why I wanted the experts opinion here. He said it hasn't been driven since 1987 and still has that sticker on the tag. I figured a good candidate for another resto-mod but needed an idea to offer him...any more opinions?

A car like that is only worth what you could part it out for. That's not to say that it couldn't be brought back from the dead but, like Bird said, you would probably be better off financially getting a car that is done.

I may have some 68 only parts left on it and assuming the frame is good I think $2500 is good.

hmmm, the front looks ok, I expected something worse than that..... if it's 1.5 hrs from you I'd have a closer look at the car