Another Dumb Question

Dirtbuster1

I need to install new rods in the hinges on my rear compartment doors. What is the trick of getting the new rods through the new door panels. The holes might be under sized. I know someone has to have had this problem.

I need to install new rods in the hinges on my rear compartment doors. What is the trick of getting the new rods through the new door panels. The holes might be under sized. I know someone has to have had this problem.

You talking of the rods acting as HINGE PINS?? is so, those metal hinges were assembled way before being attached to the plastic....

and by 40 years later are so rusted, I serious doubt you can move them at all, let along past the plastic without damage....best of luck.....:twitch::quote:

Removing them was pretty easy. Getting the new pins through the new hinge holes is a different story. The holes just don't appear to be large enough. I can't seem to find a drill bit the size needed that is long enough! I thought about heating the pins up to see if they might burn their way through.

Never done this on a compartment door but when installing a mechanical splice in a conveyor belt grind a point on the rod, chuck the rod into a hand drill, start the point into the hinge, start the drill and push gently. Good luck

Never thought about using a drill to thread it through the holes. I give it a shot!

Thanks!

I finally got around to installing the new rods on my rear compartment doors. I put the rod in the drill and ran it through the doors then the frame seperately. That opened ujp the clearance some like a drill bit. I then held the doors to the frame & ran the rod through still installed in the drill. After the rods were through I trimmed the length to around 1 inch per side.

Very good tip for installation!

Thanks