Headlight leagl question

gabbett1

Hey everyone. So I was wondering if anyone would know if it is legal or illegal to have all four headlights working as both the low beams and high beams. I am looking into and HID system and I thought it would be cool if all four headlights looked the same all the time. Thoughts?

most states have similarity in the motor vehicle codes, although i live in florida now,
i can say for sure in Virginia , it shall be unlawful to operate a vehicle with more than 4 headlights burning on the front of a vehicle at any one time. i think most states are the same.

Hey everyone. So I was wondering if anyone would know if it is legal or illegal to have all four headlights working as both the low beams and high beams. I am looking into and HID system and I thought it would be cool if all four headlights looked the same all the time. Thoughts?

Lots of cars come from the factory with fog lights which in effect gives you four headlights. I don't see why you could not have 4 headlights in operation.

Same thing I was wondering a few years ago: 4 low beams, 4 high beams.....

It's "not more than four headlights" at a time :D

Not sure if different light pattern are allowed.
What I know is that HID lamp without a proper lens is a no-no on the street.
To have it legal you'd have to source you parts from a genuine HID lighted car: optic, slope sensor and the electronic that comes with it.
One guy on DC proposed to make a dedicated proper HID kit, but the price turned out to be prohibitive.

Not sure if different light pattern are allowed.
What I know is that HID lamp without a proper lens is a no-no on the street.
To have it legal you'd have to source you parts from a genuine HID lighted car: optic, slope sensor and the electronic that comes with it.
One guy on DC proposed to make a dedicated proper HID kit, but the price turned out to be prohibitive.

^ Yes... Please do not run HID's in standard halogen housings. For one the light output is not ideal from the drivers point of view, and more importantly, it is not safe for oncoming traffic due to the extreme amount of scattered light. I have a guy that I use for some of my customer cars that makes HID projector retrofit lights for the 5-3/4" light cars, but as Denpo noted, its not very cheap. But, they do kick ass at night and look awesome. Just to give you an idea... a quad bi-xenon projector setup is generally over $1K for the complete kit.