Key buzzer won't shut up.....

JPhil

Huh?
Just annoying. The ignition key switch buzzer finally stuck on for good this weekend. It does shut off when the doors are closed, but otherwise won't shut up at all even when the key is out of the switch. I have done some exploratory searching for the buzzer but it seems to be way up there, perhaps between the speedo & tach.
Anybody know fer sure where it is, to save me a little time searching for it? Do I have to drop the steering column? Or pull the dash?
I'd prefer just to unplug it, I don't really want to cut any wires.

Sure is a bitch working under the dash with bifocals......

Thanks,
John

Just annoying. The ignition key switch buzzer finally stuck on for good this weekend. It does shut off when the doors are closed, but otherwise won't shut up at all even when the key is out of the switch. I have done some exploratory searching for the buzzer but it seems to be way up there, perhaps between the speedo & tach.
Anybody know fer sure where it is, to save me a little time searching for it? Do I have to drop the steering column? Or pull the dash?
I'd prefer just to unplug it, I don't really want to cut any wires.

Sure is a bitch working under the dash with bifocals......

Thanks,
John

:surrender: Got THAT right man, but I dumped out all that shit some 20 years ago, and I forget to remember WTF I did.....15 years ago I rewired the entire car.....:smash::eek:

I thought the buzzer was on the fuse block?

AS I RECALL, the 4 way flasher was on the fuse block and for some stupid reason the turn signal flasher was draped over to the right side of the car, behind the map pocket.....it was a '72.....but the wiring looked factory, purple and pink if I remember.....:surrender:

Yeah, Gene's right. On mine at least, turn blinker under passenger side dash, 4 way blinker on fuse block. That dam key buzzer is tucked up under the driver dash somewhere. Gets it's power from the brake light switch plug, one reason I don't want to arbitrarily snip a wire.

I pulled out a ton of those when I was a mechanic at a Chevy dealer back in the '70s. People were bringing their cars in all the time infuriated with those annoying things.

The method was to just let it buzz while feeling around under the dash. When you hand finally finds the little vibrator, grab ahold and give it a yank.

I pulled out a ton of those when I was a mechanic at a Chevy dealer back in the '70s. People were bringing their cars in all the time infuriated with those annoying things.

The method was to just let it buzz while feeling around under the dash. When you hand finally finds the little vibrator, grab ahold and give it a yank.

Is that what the female mechanics did???:eek::smash::thumbs:

Finally found it in the Assembly Manual. Strapped to the very top of the speedometer. Muhfuhers. I got big hands, I'll try but I don't really think I can get up there from underneath. But I'll try....just not tonight......

IIRC- Just pull the courtesy light door trigger switch on the driver side. There's a black and white wire...cut the black one and tape up. Of course it probably won't be that easy...might have to pull the kick panel and sill plate because the wires might not let you pull out the switch far enough to access.

Richard

IIRC- Just pull the courtesy light door trigger switch on the driver side. There's a black and white wire...cut the black one and tape up. Of course it probably won't be that easy...might have to pull the kick panel and sill plate because the wires might not let you pull out the switch far enough to access.

Richard

Yep, that worked just fine. No big deal to pull the sill plate & kick panel, and snip! the little basturd shut up.
I tried but there is no way at all my hands would fit up behind the dash to pull the buzzer.
Thanks!