C5/C6 horn weight?

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
Just curious if anyone knows of the weight of the later horns, or a later vehicle that has a nice light horn. I believe I need a horn to pass state inspection, and it would be noce to put a newer lighter one up front.

Thanks,
Mike

I always use Hella horns. Plastic, very light...and loud.

Getting a little obsessed huh? Lightweight horns LOL

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Yep, gotta have a horn to pass the inspection. How about one of those JC Whitney $19.95 plastic air horns?

IF you do the year of manufacture plates, you won't need a yearly inspection either. Put a horn on, get it inspected and remove it. The only one that will know is you.

Why not just hang your head out window and yell HOOOONKKKKKK ... then there be no weight gain at least.

I always use Hella horns. Plastic, very light...and loud.

Getting a little obsessed huh? Lightweight horns LOL

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

I'm running out of ideas. LOL

Ya know, today I was in a museum that might have an idea for you

flat_head_indian.jpg

personally I'm considering train horns so the next time a Miata gets in my way on the track :D

Took one of the horns off the '84 (it was sounding pretty anemic) and put it on my HF scale, along with a horn off the '69. The '69 horn is 18.65 oz and the '84 horn is 14.85 oz. Pretty close to a quarter pound difference.

The remaining '84 horn seems loud enough by itself so I'll just run a single horn and do without the weight of the sick horn. Not a big weight reduction obviously, but it's off the extreme front of the car (right behind the bumper), and the reduction is free.

Next time I'm at the junkyard I'll try to remember to take my portable scale along and check out a few of the newer cars. WTH, I need to get a horn for my streetrod truck too, so I'll see if I can find a lightweight pair.

See the above post about vacuum depositing chrome over fiberglass bumpers.

The bumpers on a 69 vette are almost useless. Ever though about replacing the bumper hardware with aluminum brackets?

See the above post about vacuum depositing chrome over fiberglass bumpers.

The bumpers on a 69 vette are almost useless. Ever though about replacing the bumper hardware with aluminum brackets?

I replaced several of the rear brackets with aluminum substitutes.
I've also spent a ton of time trying to figure out a decent balance of getting lighter weight on the front bumper brackets, and still retaining some crush resistance to retain some decelerative forces in the brackets. These cars aren't exactly safety vehicles, and I hate to reduce the limited safety factor any further if I can prevent it. (IOW, still working on the front brackets.)