Press brake

SuperBuickGuy

I don't know how the Canadians got ahold of this, but it's safely back on US soil :)
P8300002_zps77c081bd.jpg

I used the winch to pull it off the trailer
P9010002_zpscb228106.jpg

P9010004_zps4f70eaca.jpg

worked slick .... 12k winch didn't even flinch pulling it off

yep, I dug a hole in my driveway to slide it into the shop

P9010006_zps8a689921.jpg

and it's almost home
P9010005_zpsa3e9105d.jpg

it's a 72" Chicago 30 ton press brake. I paid $700 for it and spent Friday going and getting it.... I have to replace the motor because it's a 3 phase motor - but a new one is on its way for $260.
I pulled the plates off to expose the bending bed.... no idea what I'm do with them, probably scrap them unless a light bulb goes off.

my dad owns a company that builds kitchen equipment for restaurants - so I've been using machines like this since I was pretty young - other best part, my dad said he'd help me out with some dies - that said, they aren't terribly expensive for used ones on ebay or craigslist...

now to build those floorboards for my Spider

I don't know how the Canadians got ahold of this, but it's safely back on US soil :)
We buy it, pay for it and use it.
Glad it's safe now...

actually - the guy I bought it from got it from his work, who didn't use it, neither did he ..... 20 years of its 80 year history.

I do think this thing has crossed the border a few times - it's got all sorts of border crossing medallions on it

Comedy is, first time I have needed a break in some years was just last week, making caps for some steel doors I had to cut down....but 22 bux and it was done....methinks it was a tad more economical in my case.....

not that I wouldn't LOVE to have a fully loaded machine shop.....

:D:trumpet:

Comedy is, first time I have needed a break in some years was just last week, making caps for some steel doors I had to cut down....but 22 bux and it was done....methinks it was a tad more economical in my case.....

not that I wouldn't LOVE to have a fully loaded machine shop.....

:D:trumpet:

I just bought floor pans for my Buick, $500. Maybe $50 worth of 16 ga steel.... and I'll still need to reform them to make them fit.

Floor pans for the Spider, no one makes those (weird, huh?) could range from 1000 to 3000 to have them custom made....

while it is true that little things are pretty cheap to have made; the moment you start talking floor pans and such; the economy of going to the local HVAC shop flies out the window...

and you bring up an interesting point. I go on and on with my dad about the folks that "just want a door cap made" because if you told them what it really cost to have them built; they'd run out the door cussing you out for "stealing from them"....