Well they finally did it

Belgian1979vette

Since 2018 they have progressively required oldtimers to go to tech inspection. My car was up for the inspection this year.
They refused the cars on the grounds that it is not original anymore (not according to its certificate of conformity) as it has a fuel injection system on it.

By now about 50% of the oldtimers on the road here have either been refused or have just not even gone to tech inspection and are now not able to be driven anymore.

That's where the EU is bringing us.

Prayers and crossed fingers on this side of the Atlantic we don't go that way. The Visegrád Group may be hopeful counter to the EU - but again, not much European news on this side lately.

What options do you have? Re-install Carbs? Would that get you a "pass?" Would it have to be an original too? Keep us posted and best of luck.

Cheers - Jim

Sorry for not coming back to this. Have been busy.

Well in short yes, but it would have to be fully original. Which really sucks.

I have taken the case to a supreme court that deals with government decisions. I hope this will bring something. Otherwise I will probably sell her and quit my +30 year hobby.

Fucking communists.

So they would rather have a carbureted car than a fuel injected one? That's nuts. If the "requirement" is better fuel efficiency or reduced emissions, they should require old cars to go to fuel injection.

I suspect that the US is heading that direction also with the move away from fossil fuels (and toward some unidentified replacement :bonkers:).

And:
That leaves finding room for a battery as the main challenge for would-be EV crate motor converts.

Maybe in the long term, but I wouldn't just rush out now. Elon Musk is not really in the "car" business as much as the "energy business." Witness the $3000 home battery. Replacing Puerto Rico's poor power grid, Africa...

And, then this telling comment:
Musk: Electric Cars Will Require a Lot More Electric Power Than We Currently Have
pj media 12/01/2020

Cheers - Jm

Last edited: