427Swedes new Project?

Thanks for all encouraging words!
There is a long way to go before this starts to look like a car again and so far I have only "destroyed" the car... I hope I will be able to get it together again.

Please feel free to rename/move this thread to what/wherever it should be!
I have been thinking of a name for the project but have come up short so far... :huh::huh:

Last edited:
Slowly working ahead with this project. The scale of it is slowly growing but I really feel inspired and I´m having fun!

The last of the rear end of the car has been removed. The most painful was to grind down all spotwelds at the inner part of the luggage. Not fun...

187754ee393409376.jpg

Also manually grinded the roof. I do not want to media blast large body areas. it never comes out straight afterwards and the roof was in very good shape!
187754ee39343db7a.jpg

187754ee39346bd68.jpg

Then it was finally time to send the body off to media blast and epoxi paint.
This is done by a skilled local company, a few miles from where i live.
Snow, Snow and more Snow... This winter has so far been alright! Nice temperatures and not too much snow so far.

187754ee3934a3853.jpg
187754ee3934d6453.jpg

A week later it was time to pick the body up. I am very pleased with the results! A nice thick layer of industrial grade Epoxi paint, very smooth and perfect rust protection for the rest of the life of this car.

187754ee393513ede.jpg

Back home in my shop, a few photos:
187754ee39354387d.jpg

187754ee393572e07.jpg

No unexpected surprises! The underside is in very nice condition up to the rear fender wheel openings.
187754ee3935a2fe6.jpg

187754ee3935d15d9.jpg

I choose to go this route (blast/paint) before I start to adress the rust. Now I have a clean surface to work on and no surprises will show and no remaining rust. I will grind the epoxi in the areas where i need to weld and apply new paint after welding.

Anyway, I just have to show one of the doors and all the paint that was on this car. I have counted up to 13 layers of paint:eek:
this photo shows the front edge of the door skin where it meets the front fender. The lower part is grinded steel and the rest is paint. There is 2mm of steel and 2mm of paint:lol:
187754ee39a14e0ad.jpg

The doors on these cars are insanely heavy. 60-70 lbs? I will weigh one of them.

187754ee39a11c80d.jpg

The paint remowed. Nice condition of the outer skin. A lot of rust at the lower edges.
187754ee39a17af54.jpg

Door skin removed. I will start by fixing the doors. Then hang them on the car and wait for all the new sheet metal.
I have one new rear quarter, an original GM pressing actually. It will be interesting to compare the fitment of that with the repro quarter.
I have ordered all sheet metal for this car since there is basically nothing that is reusable, except the doors and the roof.
I will put an RS front on it just because i like the look of the RS better.

At this point, I´m arguing wether I shall go 4-link in the rear, mini tub the inner rear fenders and so on. I have not decided yet but I really need to soon!

187754ee39a1ab7bf.jpg

I used to run 1967 Camaros until I got a 1970 Buick... the difference (better) handling of the Buick I'd never go back. Go with the 4 link (same as Buick), you'll be amazed at how well just a couple things (tubular arms/coil overs in the front and 4 bar in the rear) will make the car handle.

I used to run 1967 Camaros until I got a 1970 Buick... the difference (better) handling of the Buick I'd never go back. Go with the 4 link (same as Buick), you'll be amazed at how well just a couple things (tubular arms/coil overs in the front and 4 bar in the rear) will make the car handle.

Sounds great! I'm looking at different companies offering 4-link designs but the problem is, there is too much to choose from. It is overwhelming right now...
Any experience you can share is welcome!