Oil Level Sensor

vette427sbc

Im trying to avoid using a nylon sight tube on my oil tank to check oil level... Has anyone ever used or have any info on oil level sensors? Ideally Id like something that utilizes a float and has a variable output, but from what Ive seen available online that seems like alot to ask. Id like to use something OEM but cant get much info.

The filler to my oil tank is under the fender, so a dip-stick (unless flexible) will not work, and the tank is somewhat close to the headers so if I can avoid a potential failure point with the sight tube there that would be ideal

The filler to my oil tank is under the fender, so a dip-stick (unless flexible) will not work, and the tank is somewhat close to the headers so if I can avoid a potential failure point with the sight tube there that would be ideal

That is exactly how my '69 911S was set up. Might check Porsche aftermarket options. Never "really figured out how it worked - it just did. Gauge on the dash gave a fuel-like view of oil capacity.

Cheers - Jim

Jim- funny you mention the 911...
after some more research it appears that a 996 era 911 has a resistance based oil level sensor... I already have one on order to do some testing. This sensor also has a thermistor for measuring oil temp so that could be helpful to compare tank temperatures vs engine oil temps.

Jim- funny you mention the 911...
after some more research it appears that a 996 era 911 has a resistance based oil level sensor... I already have one on order to do some testing. This sensor also has a thermistor for measuring oil temp so that could be helpful to compare tank temperatures vs engine oil temps.

Sounds interesting. Looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

Part is in... so the range is kind of small, which is not surprising considering it's designed for a wet sump. I was able to get a proper pin out for the temp sensor and level sensing though. A quick measurement showed ~600k ohms empty and ~360k ohm full. That doesn't jive with the 18-25 ohms that I'm reading about online so I'm not sure what my issue is.

The sensor that I ordered is for a non turbo wetsump car. I'm going to try a turbo/gt2 sensor (drysump) in hopes that the range is a little more broad

The current reading range is at the holes from 1.5" to 3.25"
thum_6155c5246ac09e06.jpg

Im trying to avoid using a nylon sight tube on my oil tank to check oil level... Has anyone ever used or have any info on oil level sensors? Ideally Id like something that utilizes a float and has a variable output, but from what Ive seen available online that seems like alot to ask. Id like to use something OEM but cant get much info.

you realize the correct way to check your oil level with a dry sump is with the motor running right?

I'm extremely interested in this thread specifically for the dry sump tank to gauge level changes throughout the rev range, as in, how effective is scavenge and oil return at higher volumes. At the end of the longest straight how much oil is still in the engine.

I love this sensor and can't wait to see the results.

PS, found myself much too busy to watch the float and rod with a flag on top LOL

you realize the correct way to check your oil level with a dry sump is with the motor running right?

Yes, and unless I'm missing something, wouldn't this make it easier? Also being able to monitor tank levels at different RPMs with the tank still closed would be nice.

I'm extremely interested in this thread specifically for the dry sump tank to gauge level changes throughout the rev range, as in, how effective is scavenge and oil return at higher volumes. At the end of the longest straight how much oil is still in the engine.

I love this sensor and can't wait to see the results.

PS, found myself much too busy to watch the float and rod with a flag on top LOL

As-is, I think the range is smaller than ideal, but I pulled this thing apart and I have some ideas on how it could be modded for a bigger range. The 996 turbo sensor might be too small and still has a similar range. I may ditch that idea. This one looks more "mod-able"

Yes, and unless I'm missing something, wouldn't this make it easier? Also being able to monitor tank levels at different RPMs with the tank still closed would be nice.

I only raced my car 36 times yet never felt the need to monitor oil level while driving...

I think you're missing the point here... The whole reason for using this sensor is because I cannot open the top of the tank and stick a rod down to check level. I had Aviaid weld bungs on the side to allow for a sight tube but after some consideration Id like to avoid using that to lessen my chances of an oil leak near the exhaust. A nice by-product of this sensor is to be able to collect data that wouldnt be easily attainable with a sight tube or rod down the fill neck. What am I going to do with this data? I have no clue.

thum_6155c58ccaa4bbab.jpg

Yes, I can still fill the tank with it in place