Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Wheels, Tires and Brakes

Old 02-08-2014, 08:09 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (179)
Default C4 caliper compatibility with C3

Can someone educate me on whether a C4 set of Wilwood calipers will fit on a C3 and what mods would be required if so? A friend has a complete set of C4 Willwood calipers and rotors and wants to put them on his recent barn find 69 vert.

Thanks
Bullshark
Old 02-08-2014, 08:58 PM
United States | Garage Monkey

My Photos: (257)

C4 would have thinner rotors and floating calipers. Could probably be made to work but it wouldn't be easy.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:18 AM
Germany | Crew Chief

My Photos: (882)

The C4 rotors are not that big of a problem, the bracket that holds and positions the caliper is the real problem..... You somehow have to adapt the C4 caliper to the C3 spindles/hubs....I know for my aircooled VW there are plenty adapter kits that allow using all kinds of calipers vs drum brakes , but it's different to slow down a 1800lbs car with 50HP compared to a 400HP 3300lbs C3...... "Made in China" is not really an option....LOL

I'm not aware of a good quality adapter bracket for these calipers. For the later C5 and Z06 calipers you can buy kits but some of those are very poor quality like 1/8" stamped steel junk.....

Start with the rotors: install the rotors and bolt them to the hubs (no rims, just nuts)... You may need some washers if you run out of threads..... Now put the caliper on the rotor (good brake pads, not worn)....

Now take a picture of the location of the mounting holes on the stock C3 in relation to the C4 calipers and post it here....

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
Old 02-09-2014, 07:33 AM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (554)
Default Good One - Karsten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYBAD79 View Post
Now take a picture of the location of the mounting holes on the stock C3 in relation to the C4 calipers and post it here....
And, a nice CAD drawing in multiple file formats, or a full size template.

Cheers - Jim
Old 01-05-2016, 01:22 AM
United States | Member

My Photos: (0)
Default C5 brakes on front

You can run C5 with this kit. [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
C3 bracket kit is part number 10637-01, however that would be for the stock C3 front spindle. Won't work when you convert to ride tech.
Ridetech 2 drop spindles, then those are just glorified GM short-spindles with a 2 drop and 1.5 raised upper ball joint position, so it would use GMSS brackets here or one of the kits noted below.

GM SHORT-SPINDLE, 325mm C5/C6
GM SHORT-SPINDLE, 340mm C6 Z51
GM SHORT-SPINDLE, 355mm C6 Z06