Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Drive Train

Old 06-11-2017, 09:29 AM
Australia | Member

My Photos: (38)

Still gathering parts for the posi. I have a really nice set of 18 teeth gear who came with the diff, but I found a second hand set of 17. One gear, the 17 side is slightly marked,you can feel it a bit with your nail.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
this is the driving side, the opposite is smooth.
The other 17 gear has no marks at all.

Can I use it ? I may swap them for side, the marked one fitted on the right side of the LSD ?
Any thoughts ? Gary maybe?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:30 PM
United States | Gearhead

My Photos: (4)

IF you can feel a step with your finger nail I wouldn't use them. If not then you might be able to.
Depending on your application you can use the 18's. I have tuned posi's with them for guys who didn't want to upgrade to 17's and didn't plan on aggressive driving. So if the 18's look better, you're under 400hp and are not going to drag race use them.
Tom ran out of the spiders he has made for him about 4 years ago but now has good spiders. I have stock on the old ones in both 17 & 30 spline since I stocked up when they were still avail. I will use them for future builds.
67 coupe- gone but not forgotten.( like to get another one some day)
Old 06-13-2017, 01:44 AM
Australia | Member

Thank you, appreciated.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:37 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR1999 View Post
IF you can feel a step with your finger nail I wouldn't use them. If not then you might be able to.
Depending on your application you can use the 18's. I have tuned posi's with them for guys who didn't want to upgrade to 17's and didn't plan on aggressive driving. So if the 18's look better, you're under 400hp and are not going to drag race use them.
Tom ran out of the spiders he has made for him about 4 years ago but now has good spiders. I have stock on the old ones in both 17 & 30 spline since I stocked up when they were still avail. I will use them for future builds.
Someone on another forum said the spiders Tom's stocks now are actually better than the old ones. Must have read that on CF.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:37 AM
United States | Gearhead

I don't know about that. I'll stick with the NOS ones I have.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:05 AM
Australia | Member

Posi tuned,

And ready to set up ring &pinion.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:15 AM
Australia | Member

I thought that tuning the posi was a big thing, well not at all. Except the 50 turns that you need to do for any changes !! A machine would be nice, as I found that you can load or unload the side gears using the lever in a horizontal plane, and giving you a false indication how tight is the posi .
Anyway, learning !!
Old 06-21-2017, 12:58 AM
United States | Gearhead

I like the work area you have.

Some observations if I may. I like to mill the cross shaft bolt pad down 100"-.120" to give more support to weak side on the bolt. I have seen the bolts break there and break out the side of the posi case.

I like to really polish the OD and ID of the case along with the windows. I realize that the so called rebuilders out there doing diff's everyday are not going to do this because of the time required but it does make a difference.

When you completed the tuning, does the cross shaft slide out freely with the posi in any position? If it drags on one side but not the other it is not balanced and will not function correctly. There should be no lash at all in the spiders and the posi should be smooth or slightly knotchy.

I have done a lot by hand as well but once I build a machine it really does make a difference in the dial-in. I run them in about 200 times per set up and about 800 overall.

Good job
Old 06-21-2017, 09:40 AM
Australia | Member

Thanks Gary,

For the bolt, I had one in all my bits and pieces, longer than the other six ! How it can be, I don't know but bargain !! It was like 0.5 of a mm longer if I remember correctly.

About the polishing side of it, I did the inside all the way but could have been more courageous for the outside. I have been careful about "radiusing" the windows properly to eliminate the risk of cracks. But you are right about doing it more. Oh ! Did I said that I had the casing X ray before starting on it ? Maybe not.

For the cross shafts to slide properly took me some time, as I was confusing myself with shims thickness by not writing down the changes ! But yeah, really happy about how they do slide now. Not falling, but a nice greasy slide, smooth and consistent in any positions.
I do have the spiders slightly notchy.

800 turns overall !!! I did 200 each side and still feel the pain !!

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:44 PM
United States | Gearhead

Sounds like you have it under control.