Aluminum timing cover for ZZ4?

daveL82

In my leaky oil pan thread I found the plastic timing cover was breaking up.

Does any one know of an aluminum cover that will work on the ZZ4 roller cam block that was using the plastic timing cover. Per Cloyes their 2 piece design will not work on blocks that used the plastic cover

SDPS Has this description for the ZZ4 cover. Notice they list alternative metal Pn's for short water pumps.

http://sdparts.com/details/gm-factory-replacement-parts/12562818

Part Number: 12562818
Brand: GM Factory Replacement Parts
SKU: 12562818
Price: $33.39
This new design cover is used on all ZZ4 crate engines, and will bolt to any small-block Chevrolet engine from 1995 through current model except LT1, LT4 and LS1.

Technical Note: Use RTV sealant to seal new timing chain cover. Not recommended for use with short leg water pump because there is no clearance between back of pump and the cover. Use chrome cover P/N 12342089 or early model sheet metal cover P/N 12523317 for short water pump application.

Use a 2 piece. Makes swapping cams easier.

I think yours has the cam retaining plate on the nose. It won't matter then.

For non roller blocks, it seems that the rollerized button wears into the alu covers.

Prefer two pice cover but not found any for ZZ4. One posted by TT looks interesting.

Been traveling a lot so not much time for the car. Broke down and bought a mister gasket chrome cover for an early v8. Looks like it work as the ZZ4 doesn't use a cam button.

I'm almost certain that I have a aluminum timing chain cover on my ZZ4. I could be wrong!!! Next time I get a chance I'll have a look. My 68 is now at J&D Corvette (Bellflower, California suburb of Los Angeles) getting a transmission transplant: Muncie to TKO-600 5 speed. Also, they modified the manual tranny crossmember to be removable. They did a very professional job modifying the crossmember. BTW: for my ZZ4, I added a serpentine belt kit from GMPP. It works out great. Everything fits and the alternator, PS pump, water pump that comes with the kit is a great bargain. I gave the water pump a toss, it's cast iron. Bought a reverse flow Edelbrock aluminum pump and also replaced some of the pulleys with March billet aluminum pulleys. Because the water pump is reverse rotation, having electric fans on the radiator is I guess a requirement.