Picked up my Vette today

SmokinBBC

Yep....I did. 6 months, rebuilt engine, trans, steering box and new clutch....body fixed and paint.....:yahoo:

Drove it home 100 miles without any problems. I'm going to drive it until winter and then finish off the interior.

Some of my first experiences:

More torque and HP equals going through the gears faster.....a lot faster.

Freeway flyer gears work well with a manny tranny on the highway...3:36 rear, M20. 2700RPM's in 4th gear = 17MPG (and that's including a few breakin runs)

Rebuilt Steering Box = no slop...however, I do need to realign the front end.

It is great to drive a hundred miles, check the dipstick and have no oil consumption...used to burn a qt every 100 to 150 miles. It is also nice not to have to smell the oil burn off in the garage....

Oil pressure at 35 while idling and 75 while cruising is not a bad thing!

The guy with the goofy look on his face is me...I was pumped! The guy in the red shirt owns the shop.

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

Last edited:
:thumbs:

AWESOME! She's looking Good.......Real GOOD! :D

Thanks, they did a fantastic job on the body and paint..I could NEVER do that kind of job.

I was cruising quite a bit today...it is nice to go out for a long ride and only burn a 1/4 tank. I was banking on the power, but to get this kind of gas mileage is a bonus:bounce:

Looks GREAT!!

How are you liking the "freeway flyer" gears? I've got a rear with 3.08's setting there for mine. Pop the 4.11's out and the 3.08 in.

Looks GREAT!!

How are you liking the "freeway flyer" gears? I've got a rear with 3.08's setting there for mine. Pop the 4.11's out and the 3.08 in.

I had 4.11's in a previous SB vette. It was fun for ripping short distances, but got old cruising at high RPM's. I had hooker headers/sides on that vette and all I could remember was that cruising at 55 or above turning high RPMs was just plain LOUD...not too much fun.

The Big Block has LOTS of umph for the get up and go. And with the manual, I can light em up if I want to. I like the 3:36 gears....I was turning 26-2700RPM at about 65-70 mph. I have the stock manifolds with magna flows on it. It sounds sweet at idle and WOT, but very comfortable while cruising.

I feel I got the best of both worlds...the big block delivers when I need it to with a very nice racer type sound(nice lumpy cam)....and when I want to cruise and just enjoy, I get good mileage with a comfortable sound level:thumbs:

Damn, I gotta get a me a video cam one of these days:smash:

Beautiful Vette!!! Speaking of Freeway Flyers... the '82's came from the factory with 2.70's and a 700R4 Overdrive...

At 70 mph, it's turning 1600 rpms.

I won't tell you my hiway mileage... It's enough to make you ill. :yahoo:

Beautiful Vette!!! Speaking of Freeway Flyers... the '82's came from the factory with 2.70's and a 700R4 Overdrive...

At 70 mph, it's turning 1600 rpms.

I won't tell you my hiway mileage... It's enough to make you ill. :yahoo:

Thanks!

I guess it is a matter of expectations....I was only expecting 10mpg...so I'm happy.

I guess your getting 25+....yes I'd be extremely happy with that if I had an '82!:drink:

Looks great. And yes, you do need to get a vid cam so we can see and hear it :thumbs:

Thanks...I have a birthday coming up....perhaps a new vidcam is in my future...need to drop a few hints. Hell, I'll just buy it, wrap it up and thank the wife and kids!!!!:D