Phardt can....

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
OK as most of you maybe remember I been playing with a airpump hooked up to the engine valve covers, which are later steel stampings on L98 aluminum heads 4 centerline bolts.....aside from other issues which are not toally explored yet....there is this annoying problem...

that is the output sound of the airpump...it sux fine, problem is the output is totally LOUD....as in I even put that thing into the tbody fitting feeding air before the blades...i'ts about 7/16 diameter on the L98/LT1 system I running....

well even as pictured here, the thing echoes through the aircleaners...very loudly, I can even hear it loud and clear from the pass area with top and windows up and a/c ON....hi speed to boot....

any clues as to how to quiet down that airpump throbbing/rapppp sound...

damn thing sounds like a ricer...guys think it's a honda or summfin....

serious as Rowbuck....got a whole lotta work into the project, but if I have to smell the stink AND listen to the noise...it's a NO GO...

anyone any ideas?? except maybe a muffler off a weed wacker.??? and a long rear pipe??

Pipe it into the exhaust near the front just like it was originally designed to do.
I don't hear mine at all. :wink:

Pipe it into the exhaust near the front just like it was originally designed to do.
I don't hear mine at all. :wink:

OK, I know there are some strange little valves...must be a one way gate from the factories when the pump is fed into the exhaust....why is it there, and do I need one??

:huh2:

OK, I know there are some strange little valves...must be a one way gate from the factories when the pump is fed into the exhaust....why is it there, and do I need one??

:huh2:

That's a check valve. Prevents damage to pump when exhaust pressure excedes air pump output pressure.

I.E., Broken belt.

these valves common from parts houses, I pesume....what are the pressures for the typical dual 2.5 inch vette exhaust with cross pipe and stock muffs...like mine...??? wonder if restricting that pump out will make for less suction at the input, probably will I would imagine...

Install some louder mufflers and a gear drive, that'll quiet that pump right down

Install some louder mufflers and a gear drive, that'll quiet that pump right down

not really an option at this time....MONEY and I sold my gear drive to GURU about a month ago or so....left over from my initial build, it will not work with DPFI and a knock sensor, so I was told, anyway....

wonder about some sort of muffler in the line??

any clue how much backpressure at say 4500 rpm's, and WOT???

Danny, the object of my desire was to cheeeeply and simply make some 35? supposed horsepower by evacuating the engine sump under suction vacuum of some 10-not over 15 lbs vac....then to find out some company making devices for intermittant drag strip use only claimed some 10-15 hp or so...

which made the whole experiment useless....

so I took it off, and went back to PCV setup per normal....

only cost me some time puttering around and maybe 20 bux total....

so no great loss....

:bonkers::mad: