mufflers for hooker sidepipes

daveL82

I was going to update my track day car with side exhaust a bit later but when I found an old dusty pair of Hooker header side tubes at a great deal I picked them up.

I will be using my Sanderson exhaust with 3 inch pipe up to the hooker side tubes with a 3 to 4 inch adpater at the tube inlet. 3" is ample for the small block.

My question is regarding muffler inserts for the 4" hooker side tubes. I need something that isn't too loud but doesn't restrict. I know this is a tough one but I need the car to be at a sound level that I can load it up on the trailer at all hours. Recommendations?

I've seen folks talking about the STS spiral baffles and have also gone to the chamber exhaust web site as they also sell inserts with 3 inch inside diameter. Don't want glass packs.

Also I was a bit concerned about the exhaust heat affecting the rear outside of the tire. Maybe nothing to worry about?

I wouldn't be too concerned with the temperature at the tire.

Mufflers: The Sweet Thunder inserts are not too bad, the glasspack Maxflows are a little louder but still it's not too loud to get the car on a trailer at 11PM.... at least not IMO.... I have the maxflows and I'll be modifying them because they're too loud at 3500rpm and higher at full throttle, accelerating draws way too much attention.... again, just my opinion, when I put the right foot down I don't need all cops within a mile radius know what I'm doing :D