Gutting the T-tops ......

MYBAD79

I decided to get rid of the T-top liners and smoothen and paint the inside of the tops..... The additional headroom sure is nice, but now the stupid line wont fall down anymore :D

photo_zps98989869.jpg
No way back, passed the point of no return.....

photo_zps7a19e794.jpg
Two coats primer, some sanding, two coats charcoal metallic, two coats clear.... Done.....

photo_zpse188fcaf.jpg

Got dark.... Driver side top is tomorrow's entertainment....

photo_zpsc9ab9ff1.jpg

Karsten - looks like a "Wrinkle Finish" in there -- or just the lighting?
Looks great. Happy Headroom!
Cheers - Jim

It's a little wavy, the fiberglass is just a tad thicker where the posts used to be..... In primer I thought it's "good enough" ..... The glossy clearcoat of course magnifies everything. I just installed it, inside the car you can't tell, it looks really good..... I have to say, from sanding to primer to paint in just over two hours.... Used a hair dryer to speed up the flash time :D

Happy with paint, that's one thing, I wood have gone with some fuzzy sound deadening one/two layer liner just for the quiet factor....

not that our cars are supposed to be 'quiet'......:pprrtt:

It looks great and is on my to do list too, except I am in agreement with Gene. I may put some thin carpet and or insulation on mine - they bake in the sun and transfer a lot of heat.
Thanks for the motivation!

Put 100 miles on the 79 today (before I removed the doors) ... Yes the tops get hot but dont expect miracles from the insulation ...

Put 100 miles on the 79 today (before I removed the doors) ... Yes the tops get hot but dont expect miracles from the insulation ...

Paint them WHITE on the top side, best 'insulation' ever.....CASE CLOSED!!!!!:bump: