Hydraulic oil injection injuries

Wow! I knew hydraulic fluid could do this but had never put it that water could do the same. It just never occurred to me. Thanks for posting the links.

I had a summer job working in Aeroquip's test lab in Jackson, Michigan. On the production runs, a hose would be picked at random for destructive testing. Also new hose coupling designs were destructively tested. My job was to blow 'em up. I had a training class to warn of the dangers seen here. Also, we used compressed air hoses to clean up the hydraulic fluid mess (mostly Skydrol). We were also warned not to blow excess oil off our hands with compressed air since it could also cause oil to be blown under the skin. Also, we were told not to "goose" anyone with a compressed air blast.
Apparently a common naive thought was to take your compressed air hose, stick in up to to someone's pants near their butt and give them an air blast. The scenario was that if you did blow compressed air past someone's rectum into their lower colon, the colon could rupture and cause a fatal air embolism.

Sometimes the hoses were blown up with water...the most nerve racking was to cause a hose to burst with compressed air. A dynamite like explosion would result. I'd jump everytime one would burst.

I feel for you having to work with Skydrol. That crap is plain nasty. And the only thing that will get it off your skin is either castor oil, olive oil, or milk. I used to keep a big bottle of olive oil in my locker at work, and another one close to the shower at home. I've moved over to aircraft inspection, so I dont' get it as often, but I still won't allow my wife to do my laundry. Skydrol is a PITA to deal with, but having her get some would NOT be worth the pain I'd go thru.......

:goodnight:

I feel for you having to work with Skydrol. That crap is plain nasty. And the only thing that will get it off your skin is either castor oil, olive oil, or milk. I used to keep a big bottle of olive oil in my locker at work, and another one close to the shower at home. I've moved over to aircraft inspection, so I dont' get it as often, but I still won't allow my wife to do my laundry. Skydrol is a PITA to deal with, but having her get some would NOT be worth the pain I'd go thru.......

:goodnight:

:clap: I wash MY own clothing too, for a GOOD reason, but not related so much to heavy industrial chemicals.....let's just say a bit more domestic.....

slightly......:devil::goodnight:

:crylol:[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX-yl3QLewI[/ame]

I always hear the A&P's say Skydrol sucks. Heard if it gets loose in the cabin/smoke it burns the crap out of your eyes.

Ralphy

Last edited:
:crylol:
I always hear the A&P's say Skydrol sucks. Heard if it gets loose in the cabin/smoke it burns the crap out of your eyes.

Ralphy

One drop in your eye and everything else suddenly becomes no deal. If Skydrol gets misted into the air, you are really unhappy. We had a pinhole leak on a DC-9 nose gear retract line under the cabin floor some years ago. Had a heck of a time finding it. Pressure the system, it'd spray, but we couldn't breathe or see with the system on. Finally found the leak from the puddle in the structure.

Funny, a recommended treatment is to put another type of oil into the eyes. Water won't displace oil I guess.

The generally accepted treatment for ocular exposures is copious
flushing with potable water sterile, ophthalmic eye irrigation
fluids, or lactated ringer's solution. We have received numerous
reports that this treatment is ineffective in relieving the pain.
At the same time many of these same reports have indicated
that instillation into eye of oily materials such as castor oil
rapidly relieves the discomfort.

http://www.skydrol.com/technical/health_safety_facts.pdf

Another reason for a pilot to use these.

oxygen-mask-300x225.jpg

Article also says milk works!

ChinasmostbeautifulfemalepilotWangZhiqian2_thumb.jpg

Ralphy

Last edited:
Milk works- not high on the recommended list because of the bacteria in it. Castor oil and olive oil works too. Water is a waste of effort- and trust me, that crap in your eye, wasting time is the very last thing you want to do.