Recommend A Dial Indicator?

DC3

Sorting through my Dad's tools reminded me that his dial indicator has been missing for quite awhile and I've never owned one.

I'd like to add one to my tool box. Could you guys recommend a good bang for the buck indicator? Something sturdy and accurate with a good base for working on the '73 and checking the table saw. Not interested in the $30 pieces of junk I see around but also not wanting to spend hundreds.

Thanks,

DC

can't go wrong with a Starrett, that's for sure. A lesser alternative is a brand called Fowler. We bought those for operators to use adjusting production machinery, as a throwaway, and became impressed by their value for the money. They seemed to take the abuse you'd expect on the production floor.:drink:

I have an old Brown & Sharpe as well as some Starretts. Both are good stuff

Wow, I didn't realize how many choices there are in dial indicators. Starrett alone makes a ton of different models.

Should I be looking for a gauge with a 0-100 dial or one that's 0-50-0?

Should I consider buying used via ebay? Or would it be best to stick with new?

I found a Fowler on Amazon with base for what seems like a decent price:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Fowler-52-522-101-Magnetic-Indicator-Diameter/dp/B00B5HQ45C[/ame]

I don't mind paying more than this but want to keep it reasonable.

I also found several new and used Starretts on ebay in the $60 to $80 range but all are without any type of base:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starrett-No...954?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5656e2b2da

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starrett-25...260?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac7e4895c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starrett-1-...176?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac7e45640

Do any of these fit the bill or give any of you cause for concern?

Will any base fit these Starretts or do I need to source a Starrett brand base?

That Mitutoyos base looks nice but at $150+ before shipping, that's pretty steep considering I'd still need a dial indicator to go with it.

Thanks for all the help.

DC

I use only Starrett indicators. For machine work the "last word" test indicator is very good. For engine, trans, diff work a 0-1" with Starrett mag base is the way to go.

Brown & Sharp also make good tools. Fowlers are good.

Starrett also has a rebuilding service in case you find a good used one you can have it checked. If you find it cheap enough good otherwise buy a new one. They will last a life time if you keep it clean and don't drop it.

I am rebuilding diff's every day of the week and my Starrett is like an old Timex, takes a licking and keeps on ticking

Wow, I didn't realize how many choices there are in dial indicators. Starrett alone makes a ton of different models.

That Mitutoyos base looks nice but at $150+ before shipping, that's pretty steep considering I'd still need a dial indicator to go with it.

Thanks for all the help.

DC

Make up your mind what you want before you buy, most of these are not interchangeable..... I.e. if you buy a Starret or Fowler indicator and mag base and the later decide you want a more flexible arm, that arm of a different manufacturer won't fit......
Look for the manufacturer that gives you most flexibility, buy used if you don't want to pay full price....how about pawn shops??? I admit, I've never been to one but I hear it's a great place to buy tools.....

Thanks for all the input. Going into this, I didn't expect the base to be the more expensive part.

Anyone know anything about Noga bases and whether or not they will work with Starrett indicators?

DC

I don't know if I had a NOGA but several that look like them and the magnets were weak. The push button Starrett bases are what you want to use.

I have a old KANON made of hardened stainless.....it's about 35 y/o.....

found one in the basement of a house project, setting on a HVAC duct for some decades.....from Germany, has HELIOS on it, also stainless....yellow scale is hurting for paint loss though....

Got a couple of the old C clamp looking stuff from back when Dad was a aircraft builder in the experimental lab of Glen Martin, Cleveland Ohio....been a while....

:twitch:

I don't know if I had a NOGA but several that look like them and the magnets were weak. The push button Starrett bases are what you want to use.

Thanks Gary,

I found a few used Starrett push button bases on ebay some of which look to be in good condition. I may try that route.

DC

After many years, my Starrett micrometer stopped working. It had an LCD screen for measurement readouts. It developed an internal soft short, and with a new battery it would only operate a day or so before the battery went dead. It was beyond warranty. Starrett offered me a new upgraded micrometer at about 1/2 retail price. It was a more expensive version of the one I had, and interestingly it has a USB output, so that if used in a factory environment, measurements can be recorded into a central computer. I had to return the defective micrometer.

In the hassle to get my Starrett replaced, I bought a Mitutoyo micrometer. It was about 1/2 the price of my original Starrett. The big problem with the Mitutoyo is that after using it you have to turn if off....if you don't it will drain down the battery. The Starrett automatically turns itself off after a period of non-usage, the Mitutoyo doesn't. Actually good service from Starrett, friendly and personable, they are in Maine. Good to have a made in US micrometer back again.........don't know if I'll ever use that USB port!