Floor Jack Requirements

Dirtbuster1

I need opinions on floor jack minimum requirements for working on the vette. Or other cars around the house. So much stuff is made in China now, what are we to do. What tonage do we need? Aluminum or metal. Fast pump or regular pump. Single piston or dual piston? What price range is exceptable?

The kids are going to get this for me for "Fathers Day". I need your help!

Suggestions!

Last edited:
I bought my hydraulic lift at Advanced Auto for $25, it did leak after 5 months and they replaced it without any problems.... lifetime warranty..... when it leaks again (not IF it leaks) I'll just return it again....

You're not supposed to have the vehicle's weight on the hydraulic jack when your crawling under it, that's what jackstands are for.

The 6ton might be a little too high even in the lowest position. I use 2ton jackstands that I got at Kmart for $12.99 a pair... made by ACDelco....

For additional safety you could place a piece of metal under the jack if you extend it to the second or third lowest setting... a simple block will do ... I'm thinking about making the se blocks for a while now.... you know, just in case the cast iron tooth breaks off the jack ....

I saw a very nice aluminum set made by Husky at HomeDepot.... other than looking good there's nothing justifying the $130 price tag....

That ProLift stuff from AdvancedAuto is actually pretty good, and they sometimes have specials too....

I have tried to buy American made stuff my whole life. It's just getting nearly impossible. I finally bought a 2 1/2 ton floor jack and 4 stands from Harbor Freight. I am leary of most of their tools, but in this case, it's pretty good.
Life/safety is nothing to mess with.

Sort of off track slightly, but does anyone remember that gadget that was posted on DC that was like a floor creeper with a roll cage?

I don't ever work under a car just on a jack, but this thing took the safety aspect one level higher...

Found it. This things looks brilliant...

home-bed-capacity.jpg

http://www.creepex.com/indexEN.html

A decent floor jack, stands and one of these creepers would be a good setup :thumbs:

Last edited:
I have tried to buy American made stuff my whole life. It's just getting nearly impossible. I finally bought a 2 1/2 ton floor jack and 4 stands from Harbor Freight. I am leary of most of their tools, but in this case, it's pretty good.
Life/safety is nothing to mess with.

Bird,

Which jack did you get from Harbor Freight. This aluminum jack is what I'm looking at 159.00 at the store. Nothing compares to my MAC jack these days.

Take a look at this & give me some opinions.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92782

Wayne,

That's a nice looking creeper, but for 399.00 that a bit of over kill. I have 2 pair of 6 ton jack stands. I don't even like reaching under the car to put them in place with a jack holding the car up. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks

Last edited:
Found it. This things looks brilliant...

home-bed-capacity.jpg

http://www.creepex.com/indexEN.html

A decent floor jack, stands and one of these creepers would be a good setup :thumbs:

Unless the pumpkin falls in between the bars onto your face! :sos:

I have dropped a car before BTW! Wasn't the vette, and that will be the last time I take my friends advice when it comes to jacking up a unibody. :smash:

I bought a long frame jack so that i could get it under the differential and the front crossmember and not have the lift handle under the car. The downside is they are big and expensive.

I think that I'm going to go with the Harbor Freight Racing Aluminum jack. It seems to be well built, 45 lbs, & dual pistons. I appreciate everyones input in help making this decision. Being light will help me get it around easier. I also wanted to confirm that the Harbor Freight jacks didn't have any major problems. Sometimes cheap isn't always the best way to go.

:drink:

I think that I'm going to go with the Harbor Freight Racing Aluminum jack. It seems to be well built, 45 lbs, & dual pistons. I appreciate everyones input in help making this decision. Being light will help me get it around easier. I also wanted to confirm that the Harbor Freight jacks didn't have any major problems. Sometimes cheap isn't always the best way to go.

:drink:

They have a pretty good return policy. 2 years, no problems with mine.

I bought the alum. racing jack two years ago,It stopped working after a year, I didnt know about the two year warranty, the paper work I got said a year so I didnt bother trying to return it.

Hers's my " Fathers Day " gift from the kid's. Let see yours!

25248559c62e66ce.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited: