1965 coupe RestoRod

Mike Kell

Hello all,
Mike here from the Chicago area here. I started this restoration about 2 years ago. When taking apart the car we found how far the rust had gone. Lower window birdcage rust etc. It's amazing how many people were afraid of the work. We are moving right along and the body is almost back together. I received suspension parts yesterday and look forward to getting the rolling chassis on its way.

All input welcome.
Mike

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    760.9 KB · Views: 49
That a helluva project!

Probably the only way I could ever afford a C2 would be to find one that badly decayed and do all of the rebuild work myself. Damn sexy lines on that body.

Last edited:
I'm finding the resto cheaper than I had originally expected... Of course when it is all said and done, I will not total up the costs... I don't know if my heart could handle it, let alone my wife...

Suspension started

VanSteel Coilover, a arms and offset trailing arms...slowly coming together..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 30
looking good... I went with 58-64 Impala tubular A arms built for those hopper cars then beefed them up some more and viking DA semi-coilovers.. what are you gonna pick for calipers?

Standard ss calipers with the o rings I believe will work for me. I know the Wilwood are good options and I may end up with them in the future. we'll see.

Mike

more pics when I figure out how to batch reduce the size of photos...:bomb:

Completed Front Rt

Front rt and left are complete. rears next... The Vansteel upper mount requires a strengthening bracket to be welded to the frame. That is the only mod that some would call permanent.. My welder didn't drill out the original 7/16 shock mount to the new 1/2 inch required hole before welding the bracket. Of course the holes are not lined up so it will require some thought, dremel maybe, Dad says drill it out as only the tip of the drill cuts. I am concerned that the drill will open up the new 1/2 inch bracket..weakening the mount ... then there is what to do about the differential..rebuild, update, replace... original 3:08. Probably going to an LS for engine and tremec, I wonder if the original Diff is up to the challenge...

thum_358555e71636e1636.jpg

thum_358555e71a74ecc60.jpg

Last edited: