1978 Darth Vader Vette

I did the "rough" assembly of one unit this morning. Pictures coming soon that will show the whole assembly, brackets to "sugar" scoops to headlight lamps to the retainer trim piece.

A picture is worth a thousand words Gene!!! :clap::clap:

Many years ago Ecklers came out with his first? product I think, to replace the operating lights with a fixed position light setup, the entire operating mechanism was pulled including the U shaped bracket tied to the header near the hood and the front bumper....and a fiberglass 'sugar scoop' was installed in place, that contained what looks like the lights you are using....the older first version of square glass headlamps..... that set way back under the rear of the opening, some guys put plastic 'lens' over the top of them/opening, I did not bother.....a damn deer took out my headlights one night in '98, and so I did the sugar scoop gig......both mechanisms being totally destroyed....troublesome crap anyway, the canisters were a disASSter..... so I fixed the body to look good and some years later a Verizon truck backed his hitch into the left front, and so that was IT, game OVER for the paint job.....so while I at it, I reduced the openings by 50% front to rear.....and put in late camaro bulbs mounted forward on the glass sugar scoops, just under the rear lip of the openings, so the overall affect is a much sleeker look than the old huge openings.....

Your effort there will look GRAND.....

the later Camaro bulbs are about 2.5" tall and ~5" wide best guess....

:cool:

I did the "rough" assembly of one unit this morning. Pictures coming soon that will show the whole assembly, brackets to "sugar" scoops to headlight lamps to the retainer trim piece.

A picture is worth a thousand words Gene!!! :clap::clap:

Many years ago Ecklers came out with his first? product I think, to replace the operating lights with a fixed position light setup, the entire operating mechanism was pulled including the U shaped bracket tied to the header near the hood and the front bumper....and a fiberglass 'sugar scoop' was installed in place, that contained what looks like the lights you are using....the older first version of square glass headlamps..... that set way back under the rear of the opening, some guys put plastic 'lens' over the top of them/opening, I did not bother.....a damn deer took out my headlights one night in '98, and so I did the sugar scoop gig......both mechanisms being totally destroyed....troublesome crap anyway, the canisters were a disASSter..... so I fixed the body to look good and some years later a Verizon truck backed his hitch into the left front, and so that was IT, game OVER for the paint job.....so while I at it, I reduced the openings by 50% front to rear.....and put in late camaro bulbs mounted forward on the glass sugar scoops, just under the rear lip of the openings, so the overall affect is a much sleeker look than the old huge openings.....

Your effort there will look GRAND.....

the later Camaro bulbs are about 2.5" tall and ~5" wide best guess....

:cool:

Ahhhh! I see what you mean now. More of a fixed system. So, are you saying the Verizon truck did yo a favor!!!

The lamps I am using are 4" X 6" and come from a 1982 - 1992 Camaro/Trans AM. Also using the same buckets and Lamp trim. You can get this stuff cheap of FleaBay!!

The instructions I got with my kit are not the best. I am hoping my post makes it more clear if anyone wanted to do this. I may rewrite the instructions with a better pictorial --- if I can sit down long enough! :shocking::shocking:

Hey John-

Those 4 x 6 rectangular are also know as "165mm"- and were also used on Peter-built trucks - so that have some really nice ones out there-

So just limiting your search to the Camaro ones...you might have to grow a mullet!!

Here's a Halogen Projector-

STARR-HPL4656-7T.jpg

STARR-HPL4656-5.jpg

Darth Interrupted!!!

Hey Gang - doesn't it usually take a year to get a Corvette painted??? The weather is warming up and it is safe to head back out to the garage and WHAM - I get this delivered a week ago

Now all safe and sound in my huge garage

Things never go like you plan with these cars!! :bonkers::bonkers: I guess this is to be expected when you have more than one car in parts. So Darth will be taking a break while he sleeps in the trailer while Goldie takes up residence in the garage.

So, why is it, when you start putting things back together - some things just don't want to co-operate????

The stud on one "E" broke and it wasn't half tightened and the other "E" is crooked when aligning!!

NEVER EASY!!

John

Its like POOF and 3 months have gone by!! Well, finally got a little time to work on Darth today and to me, it is big progress. Darth has been up of jack stands for several months without a differential. Well, today Mr UPS delivered my newly, Bair's Corvette, rebuilt 3:36 differential. I had nothing better to do so I got busy getting the differential installed.

Here is a picture of the differential out of the box.
View attachment 1938
Yes, it came all blacked out!! Told them what I was doing and they helped!! Great folks there at Bair's.

This is the differential before bolting the crossmember in.
View attachment 1936
This tranny jack from Harbor Freight is worth its weight in gold!!!

John

They gave me a tour when I drove down to pick up some parts. He has two men working full time rebuilding trailing arms and differentials. They must have had 60 irs cores on the shelves in the shop. I was surprised that they would have that kind of volume.

They gave me a tour when I drove down to pick up some parts. He has two men working full time rebuilding trailing arms and differentials. They must have had 60 irs cores on the shelves in the shop. I was surprised that they would have that kind of volume.

I have been working with Bair's since Corvettes at Carlisle 2003. I got my first set of rebuilt trailing arms from them at that time. They do terrific work and are easy to work with.

I guess I will have to make that cross state trip and get a Tour too!!

The will be at Spring Carlisle in a couple weeks and I have a ton of parts to pick up! OH BOY!

I know the feeling. I Sold a bunch of parts last winter. Then never moved! Life..

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pts/d/montgomeryville-c6-corvette-rear-clip/6943831195.html

"Now, I know this isn't for everybody but who knows, It's worth a shot! . I purchased this C6 rear clip from SpeedVette in Frankenmuth, Mi. Cost me over $2K to purchase and ship. The clip is made specifically to go on a C3 Corvette and was part of a kit that included the C6 front and rear clips. Basically, convert a C3 to look like a C6. I was building a RestoMOD with the theme of Darth Vader Vette and I loved the aerodynamics of the rear clip only. Owner of SpeedVette was very cooperative and sold me the rear clip only. Well, the project is dead and this is one of the last pieces to get outta here. Thought I would offer it to CL first. Who knows, might just be what someone is looking for."

I know the feeling. I Sold a bunch of parts last winter. Then never moved! Life..

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pts/d/montgomeryville-c6-corvette-rear-clip/6943831195.html

"Now, I know this isn't for everybody but who knows, It's worth a shot! . I purchased this C6 rear clip from SpeedVette in Frankenmuth, Mi. Cost me over $2K to purchase and ship. The clip is made specifically to go on a C3 Corvette and was part of a kit that included the C6 front and rear clips. Basically, convert a C3 to look like a C6. I was building a RestoMOD with the theme of Darth Vader Vette and I loved the aerodynamics of the rear clip only. Owner of SpeedVette was very cooperative and sold me the rear clip only. Well, the project is dead and this is one of the last pieces to get outta here. Thought I would offer it to CL first. Who knows, might just be what someone is looking for."

Yep! "Life Happens"! I guess the silver lining in this story is - Darth's parts went to several C3 owners to salvage their Corvettes. The bird cage, frame, suspension, differential and motor all went to good use. I am holding on to the tranny for my 76 - Just in case! LOL!! :rain: Doesn't seem to be much interest in the C6 rear clip but that is OK.

I made the decision to scrap the Darth Vader Vette project and spend more time driving my 76 (Red). While I loved the many hours of planning and working on Darth, driving Red became a priority to me! I am registered for a bunch of shows this fall before I put Red away for the winter. As Chip Miller of Carlisle Productions always said, "Life is Good"! RIP Chip

Enjoy the ride!!!!

Last edited:
I hesitated to post that, but figured it might help you sell.

I know the feeling, I sold two early convertible rear clips, a frame, et cetera, last winter. I was thinking of moving and had too much stuff. Also realized at 59 I had too many projects. Sold my Z06 too, but I had planned to sell it before the warranty expired, just not that soon. Ended up not moving, but no major regrets.

Good luck with the sale.

Thanks for the assist!!! LOL!!! The C6 clip has been on CL for a few months now and not as much as a nibble. One way or the other, it will not be here in the spring.

The change in direction for me boiled down to 2 things. A health issue that popped up and my best friend Jim passing from prostrate cancer 2 years ago. I am 72 now and those two events 2 years ago were enough to change things around a bit. I got Red from Jim 22 years ago so the 76 always has had very special meaning to me.

Reassessment of ones life is not a bad thing!!! Oh, AND it eliminated a future decision - Which Vette do I drive???? LOL Once the 69 is reassembled, it will be out of here too