Okay. I'm stumped-Caddy alternator

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
Okay, so my son's 92 Caddy alternator is dying. I look at the Zone website. It lists 2 models. One for heated windshield, one without. Yet, they are both rated at 140 amps. :huh:
Unless this is a typo, I just don't get this one.:bs:

The alternators for use with heated windshields have 3 additional output terminals on the back that supply AC power to the WS circuit.

A/C output?? I can just imagine the whine THAT causes.....can anyone say broadcast antenna?? :lol::lol::stirpot:

The alternators for use with heated windshields have 3 additional output terminals on the back that supply AC power to the WS circuit.

I'm not going to ask how the hell you know that. :quote:

That's why we come here. To seek knowledge from the all knowing wizards of the forum!

I'm impressed too, especially as he is not even on this side of the pond!

That's why we come here. To seek knowledge from the all knowing wizards of the forum!

Heated windshield? Is it really how it sounds? I never heard of that.

Heated windshield? Is it really how it sounds? I never heard of that.

Yup, I suppose MY alt on the vette here for something over 14 years now is the same thing shipped on a '79 Seville with RWDefogger...but the thing ran the resistance wire....looks kinda like tan/brown thin strips in the window....set in a grid pattern....looked like burglar alarm tape except for the coloration......sometimes really thin wires embedded in the safety glass mainly silver...

MY alt is a 17SI which does not appear on most sites, and is rather getting harder to find these daze....larger then the 10-12 series SI alts which are more common....

today somehow they supposed to have adequate cooling through a much smaller diameter alt, the first of which was the CS130, but the more later CS140?145? series is supposed to be the same mechanically....but with all these FWD and other fucked up engine designs, they changed the alt cases to facilitate mounting....nuff' to drive me krazy....shut up.....

:eek::smash::rofl: