Junk yard shopping for FI

clutchdust

Millionaire Playboy
Not to worry, this isn't for the Vette. Thinking about ditching the 390 Holley on my 240z and going with a FI set up. I currently have a manifold that has a flange for a 4bbl Holley so I would like something really easy to adapt to that. I just had a O2 bung welded in this morning so I'm pretty much ready to go. Needless to say though, since this is only a two and a half liter engine, I need a smaller set up like a 2bbl TBI system.
Any good donor candidates? What all would I need?
Obviously I know I would need the throttle body, O2 sensor and PCM. I think the biggest hurdle will be a distributor.

I once owned a '78 Datsun 810 wagon, that engine was 2343 CC, and essentially same as 240-269 Z engines, as I WAS TOLD....and it had DPFI on it, all 6 injectors in a row....

so if you junkyard shop, look for something like that, it should be a plug in....

maybe shop for the whole damn car....Craigslist??

:crutches:

I could tell f some FUNNY stories with that Datsun, it always had a good stiff hotrod clutch in it, just a 4 speed that son of a gun had a hitch on back for a 14' sailboat we had.....now here is the KRAZY part....

I built a shed out back, wanted a concrete slab....rented a mixer, towed it there, went to the local Lowes/despot type joint, they loaned trailers for large loads....so I hitch up the trailer, and they go to load about a pallet and 1/2 of 80 lbs concrete bag mix....

so further forward on the trailer, and it takes the front wheels off the ground, backs it up a bit and lifts the ass end off the ground, balance it right and off I go....from the store to my house was down a hill and a left at the light, then up another hill to my house with a right hand turn onto yet another road....no biggie....coming down the steep hill to take the left, the light started to change, and the load was running away, I just beeeeeepppped the horn and they let me take that running left turn, wound engine up good and tight, in second gear, down to first to pull the remaining hills, on the right turn I had to stop going up hill, so it was several attempts to get that poor clutch to grab without stalling engine.....so I get to the house, and up hill again into the back yard.....

NOW here is the funny part, I pulling this thing up the hill into the side yard and the poor Datsun clutch at this point was SO hot, it started smoking like a fire, and the silly car somehow made it close enough.....

returned the trailer, and that poor Datsun never had that clutch feel quite the same after that....gee, wonder why? ya think???

:hissyfit::D:crap::crutches: drove it for another year, then sold it.....

:censored:

Not to worry, this isn't for the Vette. Thinking about ditching the 390 Holley on my 240z and going with a FI set up. I currently have a manifold that has a flange for a 4bbl Holley so I would like something really easy to adapt to that. I just had a O2 bung welded in this morning so I'm pretty much ready to go. Needless to say though, since this is only a two and a half liter engine, I need a smaller set up like a 2bbl TBI system.
Any good donor candidates? What all would I need?
Obviously I know I would need the throttle body, O2 sensor and PCM. I think the biggest hurdle will be a distributor.

Two possibilities (out of many) is the 2.8/4.3 Chevy engines from the '80's. They each had TBI for some of the model years, and the ECM calprom could be reprogrammed for the difference in displacement (or, the distributor base timing position and the fuel pressure regulator could be mechanically changed to "cheat" if software calibration changes aren't convenient during the early stages of tuning).

As I mentioned, there are many other possibilities, but I'm more familiar with GM parts.

I would like to stick with GM stuff for simplicity and availability if possible. I thought about a full TBI system from a GM car or truck, but the distributor concerns me. I know in my 80's GM cars they had electronic distributors that controlled the advance and dwell, but I don't know if it was a one way system, or if there was feedback to the ECM. If one way, I don't see a problem, but a dual circuit and the ECM might be looking for information I can't provide.

Never done it but, I have seen people use the Ford EFI for 4&6 cyl. It uses a crank trigger that must be easier to adapt.