97 3.8 camaro P1406 code how to fix?

JeffP1167

It comes and after erasing the code it will stay gone for a few days to a week then come back. It has reference to EGR pintle valve position circuit. Does this basically mean the EGR itself is bad? Also I have never really worked on this car is this EGR like a older vacuum EGR ??

I don't know that car specifically, but in general, pull the valve itself and clean the passages really good, and the valve itself, that will generally take care of those EGR codes....has worked for me on several cars...

:sweat:

You can probably find a used Predator programmer and simply delete the EGR ... might be even cheaper than a new EGR valve.... wait you're in CA ??? OK, fuggetaboutit.... remove the EGR tube and clean, re-install... make sure there are no leaks, any small crack in a tube or dry rotted rubber gromments will cause a vacuum leak and throw a code....

it's ben at least 4 years but I think I remember one or two vacuum lines at the rear of the intake that caused codes when they leak..... dry rotted, cracked rubber lines...

it's ben at least 4 years but I think I remember one or two vacuum lines at the rear of the intake that caused codes when they leak..... dry rotted, cracked rubber lines...

I have that problem on my Sunfire, keeps throwing a code for the evap system, I recently replaced a fuel pump and messed with all the vacuum lines for the evap.