Auto-darkening welding helmet

Sam Cogley

After six years or so, the Harbor Freight auto-darkening helmet that I've grown to love when welding has decided to die. My family is going to replace it as a birthday present, but I'm not sure exactly what to get. Any opinions on which models have the best combination of quality and price?

take the one you have back to the store, they might just give you a new one......

option2: you can simply replace the lense portion ... get a new one from HarborFreight....

if you really wnt to buy a whole new helmet the choice is yours... the cheap HF helmet lasted 6 years and you probably paid $60 for that thing... not too bad IMO.... why buy a different or more expensive helmet if this cheap one lasted that long ??

btw, I hve the same HF helmet, $50 or so with the email coupon applied.... :D

Don't see the lenses available separately. I also don't see the kinda funky "skull" design helmet anymore on HF's website. :(

Anyone have experience with Northern Tool's "Northern Industrial" helmets? They have one for $140 that has about double the viewing area of the old HF helmet.

Last edited:
i bought one of the TWECO 4 sensor auto darkening helmets and it works great i think i paid under $60 for it