Magnehelic gauge: Opinions?

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
I've been looking at some Magnehelic differential pressure gauges on ebay to eventually do some air pressure measurements under the '69. Anyone have any experience or opinions on these gauges?

Thanks,
Mike

I've been looking at some Magnehelic differential pressure gauges on ebay to eventually do some air pressure measurements under the '69. Anyone have any experience or opinions on these gauges?

Thanks,
Mike

Used mainly to determine when commercial filter elements need changing. I.E., air handlers, bag houses, smog hogs, dust collectors. Some have contacts inside for automation.
I wired buttloads back in the day, and installed a few. Just requires tubing and tips.
Some cruder units used manometer fluid, and most were 3"dial units.
Inside is built like an aneroid barometer.
Scaled in inches of water column or 0-15' atmospheric pressure.
A/C guys have field gauges, box mount in case, for checking ductwork via test ports. That would be the unit I would choose.

Got NO clue as to WTF you talking about here in this thread, Mike....but just wanted to say you did a GREAT job on your sticky there on the 'other' group....

tough topic to esplain elektroniks to the heathens.....:huh::shocking:

:censored::hissyfit:

Last edited:
I picked one up to do similar studies.
Considered doing a manifold and several sets of tubes - labeled and all to make the passenger my data collector. "Ok, Honey. Your job is to hang on tight, write down the answers and then change the tubes, look out for the cops, repeat -- while I drive really fast. OK?"

That is the only hang up with the method. But you can do it sort of with just one car but for tuft testing you need a photo chase.

Cheers - Jim

I've used them for years in industrial application much like stated above. Great little machines to provide a lot of information if you understand what you're seeing.

I had one jury rigged into the racer for a couple years as I watched differential pressure across the rad as I tried different cooling configs and ducting. Very worthwhile device.

Dependant upon the cost I'd say absolutely have one around.

I had a lot of them with 4-20 ma outputs which could be put into a datalogger on your laptop to save your significant other a few gray hairs....

Last edited: