Blue smoke... head scratcher

Found this:
834fee93a7d927b.jpg
Anybody have a working theory (or even a wild ass guess) as to what caused it. Haven't pulled any of the others out but no indications of damage to any other cylinders. Good news is *somehow* there is virtually no damage to this or any of the other cylinders. Hell, there's not even a ridge (engine has 230k on the clock).
Glad I bought a used piston from my machine shop yesterday.

One thing to check is for ring land wear if there is to much wear it will break those ring lands as well !!!

so, what's the plan? run a bottle brush thru the bores and then 8 new pistons and new rings ?? might as well replace all 8 and run the engine for another 200k....
Nope. Going to hit it with a stone hone, replace the bad piston, all rings, bearings and back together it goes. Would love to really do it up right but just don't have the time or cash right now. This is my work truck, I planned this over the weekend so I could get it back up by Monday morning.

As long as it lasts me another 40-50k miles, I'll be happy. Hope to replace it with a newer truck by then. And if it doesn't, I'm only out a couple hundred dollars and a weekend. Even if it only lasts to the end of next month that's cheaper than renting.

Is there anyway it could have gotten in hyro lock? Fuel injector sticking open? I don't see any markings on the top where it might have hit something it sucked in the intake. But the carbon built up later may be obscuring a ding. You might want to clean it up and look it over good.

Look over the rest of the pistons checking for stress cracks in the ring space when you rering.

Last edited:
Is there anyway it could have gotten in hyro lock? Fuel injector sticking open? I don't see any markings on the top where it might have hit something it sucked in the intake. But the carbon built up later may be obscuring a ding.

Look over the rest of the pistons checking for stress cracks in the ring space when you rering.

It's been broke awhile. The black on top is oil that burnt on.
I appreciate what you are doing.
Toss it back together. It will do what you want.
After rescuing that boat engine with 4 gallons of water in it for a year, I learned just how durable a stock engine can be.:thumbs: