New ZZ383 deluxe ordered, missing anything?

gdh

Ordered a new ZZ383 from a dealership and got a great deal. Decided last yr that I was going to crate my original engine as it was needing a rebuild anyway. I just checked the pdf and it said to order the 14088650 flywheel but thinking of going with the lighter weight 14088646. I no longer plan to run the 1/4, but like to cut weight when possible. Anyone use this lighter weight flywheel?
Other parts to order:
composite fuel pushrod (thanks to the related thread)
new pilot bearing
bolt pkg
melonized iron gear as I'll use the original distr.

Will transfer everything else over. Read about the waterpump hitting the cover bolts so will decide either to grind or get a new timing cover when I start putting it together.
Hopefully GM Parts Direct can put everything in 1 box for shipping. Am I missing anything? Engine should be at the dealership in about 1 week. Want to have everything ready to go so pull the original, do a cleanup then drop the new engine in the same day.

I had researched that Motown Ls block as it is an interesting idea but just couldn't find anyone who actually did this build.

Last edited:
They dont come with the nitrous plate, you'll need to order one, and just slip it under the carb ;)

Bought a ZZ4..wish I had bought a ZZ383. The reason??? I knew the ZZ383 was externally balanced. I thought the ZZ4 was internally balanced.,,,so I bought the ZZ4.. Found out that the 350 cubic inch ZZ4 was not internally balanced!!!!!!!! Missed out on 33 cubic inches.

The zz4 should be internally balanced. Well actually it's not entirely internally balanced missing the rear balance pad on the crank being a 1pc main engine but it's not the same as an external balance 383 requiring an external balance damper.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I haven't heard from him in years. He was a wealth of knowledge

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I've had a few ppl ask me about him but like you it has been years since any contact.

GM recommends using a roller pilot bearing, just had a performance parts mngr advise against it. I will call him when he gets back later this week but anyone have any issues with this type of bearing? The msg he left was if I really want to use one go with the Centerforce 43001.

Last edited:
I nice addition to the ZZ383 would be to buy the General Motors Performance Parts catalog Serpintine belt drive. It comes in three kit versions; (1) Serpintine brackets and pulleys only, (2) Serpintine kit with all new water pump, alternator, PS pump, (3) everything in kit 2 plus an air conditioner compressor. It all fits nicely in a C3. It will need an electric fan. The water pump is reverse rotation. It's cast iron....you can buy an aluminum one from Edelbrock. The Serpintine kit...either version 2 or 3 is a great buy for all you get, but even at that it is a significant expense. I like the electric fan. So much easier to work on the engine when it's running...just turn the fan off..no worries about the blast of hot air or fear of being mutilated by the mechanical fan hitting your hand or arm.

One last thing..I can't repeat this statistic accurately...But with a Serpentine kit you can be a hp boost over the factory bracket system...is it X HP? I've read that their was a HP efficiency, but I can't remember what it was.

Last edited:
instead of blowing 750 bucks on that serpentine setup, hit the junkyard and find a 88-92 F body. It's the EXACT same kit + the 1LE AC delete pulley if you do not have AC. The nice thing about this is obviously the price but also the stock torx bolts and inverse torx studs.

25071cce879942.jpg

25071cce92e9e6.jpg

Looks like that serpentine kit requires a reverse flow pump ???? Will that 88-92 F-body pump fit the older SB ????

The engine was delivered a couple hours ago. Going to look into that F body serpentine setup.

imagejpg1_zps25f47d9d.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
instead of blowing 750 bucks on that serpentine setup, hit the junkyard and find a 88-92 F body. It's the EXACT same kit + the 1LE AC delete pulley if you do not have AC. The nice thing about this is obviously the price but also the stock torx bolts and inverse torx

From what I've read, people have used parts for this Serpentine from other GM vehicles. From what little I know, the individual part numbers for the GM Performance Parts catalog Serpentine are the same part numbers for the Serpentine assemblies installed on 1991 and 1992 Camaros and Firebirds.

Even if you buy the GM Serpentine kit from the Performance Parts catalog, there's a little adventure getting it mounted on a C3 Corvette. First of all you should consider buying the kit with the alternator, PS pump, reverse rotation water pump, and AC idler wheel (if you don't want AC). It's pretty cheap for all the new stuff you get and you get a higher capacity new alternator.

The PS pump will have a metric threads output...you can buy a metric to english output brass fitting from NAPA. lt's about $7.50. Actually, I didn't originally know this and I had a custom made PS hose made with metric inlet and english outlet. Really not too expensive, but the $7.50 deal would have been a lot cheaper!!! Another micro detail is that the idler pulley that's mounted underneath the AC pulley has to be mounted upside down to avoid interference with the passenger's control tower.

To repeat myself, I was abhorred by cast iron reverse rotation water pump that came with the kit. I bought an Edelbrock aluminum reverse rotation water pump. Also, the pulleys that come with the GM kit are not too thrilling. The are all black painted steel pulleys. Where ever possible, I replaced the GM steel pulleys with Marsh billet aluminum pulleys. They were'nt really all that expensive. Scanning through the Marsh catalog, I bought underdrive pulleys for my GM Performance Parts set up. Marsh tends to sell sell overdrive pulleys which suck up HP, but will keep their general public engines cool when idling. I bought underdrive pulleys since I have a Big Block Be Cool radiator in my 68..I don't have to worry about heating even though I have pure ethylene glycol in my radiator.

The reason for the Be Cool radiator, Is that I can use an electric fan. The stock mechanical fan will not work with the reverse rotation water pump in the GM Performance Parts catalog Serpentine kit. I think I said this before, an electrical fan is just real happiness. If you work on the engine, you can turn the fan off temporarily and not be blasted with 200 degree F air. Also, working on the engine, you don't have to worry about getting your hand, arm head into the mechanical fan.

http://vettemod.com/forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I've been battling pneumonia these past 2 weeks so engine has not been installed. I have a couple good friends waiting to lend a hand when I'm up to it.

Thanks for the info. I've been battling pneumonia these past 2 weeks so engine has not been installed. I have a couple good friends waiting to lend a hand when I'm up to it.

Get U some medical help man, that shit really sux.....:eek::surrender::thumbs:

Oh boy, that pneumonia is nothing to F around with..... Take your time recovering from this!!!

Other than that: I really appreciate the info On the serpentine setup, on the other hand this is making me want to upgrade and spend money..... Lol

Thanks, it's frustrating to be laid up. Back at the dr tonight but at least I'm starting to feel better (3rd round of antibiotics finished in another 2 days). We're planning on waiting another 2 weeks to hopefully let this thing run its course.
I'll order the parts to make sure that they arrive next week so we're ready to go.

Finally healthy enough to start back on the swap. We (Mooser with a little help from me) removed the old engine yesterday. A couple of issues arose: 1) the flywheel that I had been waiting for finally arrived yesterday and they sent the wrong one. It is just the Gen I replacement steel billet not the correct ext balanced one for the 1 pc rear Gen II engine. The assist mngr saw my emails and agreed it was their fault as I was quite clear and even supplied them with the correct GM parts codes just to make sure. He said that it was shipped as it was in stock at the time, which ticked him off as well. I wasn't too happy, the asst mngr and he is calling me back this morning to let me know if they have a correct one and will ship immediately as I send the wrong one back. 2) since I am sticking with my original distr and adding the melonized tip the intake has no holes to attach my coil. Looking on the positive side it will give me a few days to clean up the rest of the engine bay and I got to spend a few hours with a great guy and good friend!

Any suggestions on what coil bracket to get would be helpful.