ATF/Acetone mix

BangkokDean

"Machinist's Workshop" recently published information on various penetrating
oils. The magazine reports they tested these products for "break out "torque" on rusted nuts and bolts. A subjective test was made of popular penetrating oils, with the unit of merit being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" bolt.

Average torque load to loosen nut:

No Oil used ....................516 foot pounds
WD-40 ..................... ......238 foot pounds
PB Blaster ......................214 foot pounds
Liquid Wrench ...............127 foot pounds
Kano Kroil ......................106 foot pounds
ATF/Acetone mix............ 53 foot pounds

The ATF/Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50/50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any commercial product in this one particular test.
Our local machinist group mixed up a batch, and we all now use it with equally good results. Note also that Liquid Wrench is almost as good as Kroil for 20% of the price.
ATF/Acetone mix is best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a 50/50 mix. ATF = Any type of Automatic Transmission Fluid

This version of the story was in one of the USA's Military Vehicle Club newsletters.

I`m having a hard time finding a spray bottle the acetone won`t melt the sprayer or the bottle but this mixture really works well:clap:

I`m having a hard time finding a spray bottle the acetone won`t melt the sprayer or the bottle but this mixture really works well:clap:

I have had a pump bottle for ATF that is all metal, and it's never had any issue for over 30 years now...been many decades.....I would be rather surprised if the acetone would attack that pump, trick is to find an old one, I would suspect anything new would be destroyed....almost for sure they have rubber seals in them, this one, I suspect had cork seals, and so....:gurney::drink: