custom exhaust - fun project

MYBAD79

Today I welded up a custom exhaust for my Mustang. It's a 2.3L 4 cyl so performance was not really a priority - I just wanted to replace the mid section with the empty catalytic converter and the rotted muffler.... :smash:

I used 400 series stainless tubing that I had laying around in the garage, "leftovers" from past projects..... 2/14" at the header connection and then 2 1/2". I re-used the stock flanges to make life easier.

A 3" flex pipe made by Stainless Works is now replacing the muffler. This thing is awesome, 304SS and great quality. Not cheap though... $50 at Summit..... I placed it as close to the engine as I could, it reduces stress on the cast iron manifold - I've just replaced the manifold because it was cracked so this flex pipe is hopefully preventing this from happening again.

214d44ceb083d0f.jpg
214d44ceb0eedf8.jpg

LOL, waiting to see a vid of this brawler in action,...it's going to sound awesome ;)

Is it 3" all the way?

LOL, waiting to see a vid of this brawler in action,...it's going to sound awesome ;)

Is it 3" all the way?

2.25 at the manifold, then 2.5" all the way back thru a Magnaflow muffler... :D

the video is not all that great, sounds like too much wind noise.... click on pic below to start the video...

th_movie1.jpg

Is it 3" all the way?

2.25 at the manifold, then 2.5" all the way back thru a Magnaflow muffler... :D

the video is not all that great, sounds like too much wind noise.... click on pic below to start the video...

DAMN, sounds like the wife's MIATA.....I dunno if that's a insult or compliment....your choice....

:rofl::rofl::rofl::surrender:

Last edited by a moderator:
Got annoyed with the deep tone so I added a 10" resonator that I found cheeeep on Amazon :D

here's the mid section in its entire beauty :

214eb8853296f2b.jpg

So much love, has never before been given to a 4cyl Mustang. Haha. Don't you have 2 Corvettes??? Why own a Fox Body if it's not going to be a monster at the strip?

So much love, has never before been given to a 4cyl Mustang. Haha. Don't you have 2 Corvettes??? Why own a Fox Body if it's not going to be a monster at the strip?

The Mustang has a trunk, a tow hitch receiver for my bike rack, gets 26mpg and runs on cheap 87 octane gas ..... :huh::nuts::3rd:

I might drop a 5.0 in it one day but the 4 banger seems to last forever :D

no TIG.... i have a Lincoln 3200HD Mig welder that HomeDepot had on sale, it's the biggest 110V welder they have, no complaints whatsoever. after 3 years of abuse i had to replace the liner in the hose and now it's like new again.
i buy the gas at TrctorSupply 75/25 Argon CO2 mix, bottle size 4 is $50 to refill/exchange, $180 initially to buy the bottle.

I'd like to have a TIG but I think unless you're doing serious stuff like Marck it's overkill ... the MIG welds everything just fine, even 304 stainless to itself or 304 to 400 series with 309 wire.

no TIG.... i have a Lincoln 3200HD Mig welder that HomeDepot had on sale, it's the biggest 110V welder they have, no complaints whatsoever. after 3 years of abuse i had to replace the liner in the hose and now it's like new again.
i buy the gas at TrctorSupply 75/25 Argon CO2 mix, bottle size 4 is $50 to refill/exchange, $180 initially to buy the bottle.

I'd like to have a TIG but I think unless you're doing serious stuff like Marck it's overkill ... the MIG welds everything just fine, even 304 stainless to itself or 304 to 400 series with 309 wire.

i am always thinking of getting a new MIG and always wanted a TIG and plasma cutter....i have used the snot out of my Lincoln Mig 110v welder and i am giving serious comtemplation to getting a 220 volt one and keep my old Lincoln with really thin wire in it just for sheetmetal work. i have to figure out if a TIG welder would make more sense....east wood had a kit of a 110/220v TIG and a 110/220v plasma cutter for $999 and it got me thinking...

depends on what you're welding. If you want to weld real heavy steel then a stick welder might be an option (cheap too)...
I like the idea of having a second welder for thinner wire, it's quiet annoying to switch the spools and pull 10' wire from the hose and re-wind it on the spool... I use .030" carbon steel wire and .023" stainless wire