new stroker build

kwplot34

Heart Attack
for the vette.
Going to pull out the 388 and build a bigger SBC.
Here is the new block.
384ef927f3b303b.jpg

picked it up earlier this year, a complete motor.
tore it down tonight for an inspection,and it is in great shape. so i should have a good block to start with.
384ef928d884c6b.jpg
384ef9295bb66ac.jpg
384ef92992a1ff5.jpg

im not going to use the heads or rotating assy, the crank,pistons,cam,and heads are all in great shape and could be used again with no problem,but all i needed is the block.

more pics
384ef92cdfd44e3.jpg
384ef9295cc2d33.jpg
384ef92dbcb7f16.jpg

all of the cylinders look good, no grove at the top of the cylinder,pistons came out very easy. this motor has been on a stand for about 20 years.

Any suggestions on rotating assy? 3.8 stroke with 6" rods. or 3.875 stroke with 6" rods. with a 1.55 bore.
Any thoughts???
BTW. if anybody needs a 400 crank,rods,pistons,and heads. i have some i will sale you. they are in very good shape. and a stock 400 cam.

I was going to buy a 396ci rotating assy for my stroker but then I cheap'd out and got the 383 .... would be cool to put the old 396 badges on the hood :D

I was going to buy a 396ci rotating assy for my stroker but then I cheap'd out and got the 383 .... would be cool to put the old 396 badges on the hood :D

I am looking at either a 412 or a 421. i am leaning towards the 412. The 421 is a tight fit,to stuff all the parts inside the block.

I am looking at either a 412 or a 421. i am leaning towards the 412. The 421 is a tight fit,to stuff all the parts inside the block.

Before you get the block even cleaned its a good idea to have the cylinders sonic tested for thickness as we have seen to many 400 blocks not be so good in that area!!!

Most bloks that we see is only one cylinder that makes the whole block junk.

On 400 blocks its a good idea to square and deck bore and plate hone for best ring seal as those blocks with the big bores and thin decks are the weakest of the SBC's.

hehehe....if you go for the 421 Find some early Poncho engine badges from the super duty daze.....'60-63 IIRC.....:bump:

I totally agree with CNC-blocks.... in the 400 blocks there is very little meat around the cylinders.
Before to spend any dollar I would check if the lifter bores are well centered in the bosses... this is often the first signal of a bad bore shift.

I totally agree with CNC-blocks.... in the 400 blocks there is very little meat around the cylinders.
Before to spend any dollar I would check if the lifter bores are well centered in the bosses... this is often the first signal of a bad bore shift.

Don't go by core shift as we have seen to many times thats not a good indicator of cylinder wall thickness, If it was I could have saved myself 1200.00 on a sonic tester LOL

I know that it is not automatic that core-shift = bad block...... but as I sed is something to pay attention!

Of course a block with core-shift can be good...... but if more often true the contrary!

Took the block to the machine shop today, and the block checks out good :clap: has a standard bore still,i plan on taking it .030 over. ordered the rotating assembly today,internal balanced. I have not decided on which cam specs yet,other than i will go with solid roller.
And to my southern California friends that hate carrying my fuel when i come out,because the compression on the 388 is to high for pump gas. Guess What??? The compression went up on the new motor :push: sorry i could not help myself. it did not go up much though.

Took the block to the machine shop today, and the block checks out good :clap: has a standard bore still,i plan on taking it .030 over. ordered the rotating assembly today,internal balanced. I have not decided on which cam specs yet,other than i will go with solid roller.
And to my southern California friends that hate carrying my fuel when i come out,because the compression on the 388 is to high for pump gas. Guess What??? The compression went up on the new motor :push: sorry i could not help myself. it did not go up much though.

Your gonna look silly towing a trailer Kevin.:D