New toy

1Michel

No wonder I take sooo long to build my car.

I had money to buy parts , BUT I go to one of my friend and in his shop, he has this lathe.

So heres goes this weeks parts budget!

Last time it was a powder coat gun.

1804f712aeee4b7e.jpg

It's not new but worked pretty good when he bought it.
I seen it run.
I just have to put the motor back in, and clean it up, maybe a bit of paint
He changed the motor but didnt get to install the new one

Came with a few boxes of stuff for it.

hey not a bad deal for 250$

Last edited:
Bt-dt

Careful, next you'll want to CNC-it. There goes another 2 years off your project!
You'll get hooded on CAD - CAM and servos, precision vs. accuracy, blah, blah - oh yeah -- its own set of forums and opportunities to spend some more parts money!

Cheers - Jim

That's a good buy. Replacement parts and tooling are easily available for an Atlas lathe.

I've had two of the Atlas's so far before I traded up for my big LeBlond. Lovely machines within their limitations. And they still work when you abuse them.

If you really grow to love it I've a small pile of Atlas catalogs from the fifties you might enjoy. But you have to be an enthusiast instead of a speculator first...

There are web forums devoted to the Atlas and Crafstmen series lathes, particularly on Yahoo.:ill:

Enjoy!!!

Steve,

Machinist, electrician, Corvette, Jag and Triumph owner:drink:

I've had two of the Atlas's so far before I traded up for my big LeBlond. Lovely machines within their limitations. And they still work when you abuse them.

If you really grow to love it I've a small pile of Atlas catalogs from the fifties you might enjoy. But you have to be an enthusiast instead of a speculator first...

There are web forums devoted to the Atlas and Crafstmen series lathes, particularly on Yahoo.:ill:

Enjoy!!!

Steve,

What size is your Leblond? I live in Cincinnati (where it was probably made) and know some people that worked there after Makino bought them. If you go into an older shop around here all you see is Lablond's and the occasional Monarch.

Had a Monarch as well but it was simply too big! That's why so many survive, they're wildly overengineered.

My memory says the Leblond is 1965 13 x 48 Regal Servoshift but I'm second quessing the swing at least. I'm thinking more like 8 x 36.

NewLathe205.jpg

Maybe the Monarch was 13x48, it WAS huge. How many of those things were made during WW2?:drink:

http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb46/GT6Steve/New Lathe/

Last edited:
I didn't know Leblond made anything under 12 or 10 inch swing.

Yeah, those guys were probably running full tilt during WWII.

Monarch made some small lathe's also. They made a toolroom lathe that was probably the ultimate in precision at the time. I tried to buy a used one in the late 80's and they wanted $10K. The sales guy told me a new one was $50K! I bought a South Bend instead.

That Monarch was 30-40 years old and was probably tighter than any new machine.

Enjoy!!!

Steve,

I'll keep that in mind for sure Steve.
But I'm no speculator, I've been looking around for one for a while, they were just a bit expensive.

It's my home garage dedicated for the car hobby, seriously my wifes Mustang and the two bikes are in the shed behind the house for the winter LOL

It's like a welder, I wanted one for a while and bought the MIG, next is a TIG.
I like tools where I can make my own things when possible, hobby thing I guess.

This little lathe is just big enough to play.

In another life , I took a 18 month course as machinist, I worked for a while but went back to trucking.

about Internet, You certainly saw the videos from Mrpete222, or tubalcain.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTxHzWjkg8I[/ame]

Man this guy has about 250 videos about machining, been following him for a while.
pretty damn good instructor.
Matter of fact he's an ex teacher.

He has a Atlas lathe and made bunch of vid about taking care of it and working with it.

OK, You won, sent me an address and five bucks and I'll send you these catalogs. If the five bucks is difficult promise to buy me a beer in the future...Steve

OK, You won, sent me an address and five bucks and I'll send you these catalogs. If the five bucks is difficult promise to buy me a beer in the future...Steve

Gee what is it with Vettemods guys?
I allready owe Karsten a case of beer for parts LOL

Is Bird's chrismass gift thread on all year long???
Or is it Vettemods interpretation of "Lars tuning 4 beer" :mobeer:

All jokes aside, I'm amazed, (not surprized) by the generosity of you guys.
Great group of people.

You guys are going to make me feel bad here.
I'll go on the shelves and find some part and give it to someone...for beer of course :mobeer: LOL

Hang on to them, I'll get the lathe in the garage this week end and will PM you Steve.

I'll need your adress LOL

Thank you Sir.

we'll get back to you when we need a few bushings machined :lol:

.... a friendly bunch of people... it's just how we are here at Vettemod :D

What size is your Leblond? I live in Cincinnati (where it was probably made) and know some people that worked there after Makino bought them. If you go into an older shop around here all you see is Lablond's and the occasional Monarch.

I lived in South Bend, IN for quite a while and every shop there had a South Bend lathe. Go figure. :harhar:

I lived in South Bend, IN for quite a while and every shop there had a South Bend lathe. Go figure. :harhar:

I knew a gal in So. Bend, Barb Kruchevski? (sp?) she had a '63 vert, her ex was a cop....goes back maybe almost 20 years now....her son moved here to Jax Florida....

I knew a gal in So. Bend, Barb Kruchevski? (sp?) she had a '63 vert, her ex was a cop....goes back maybe almost 20 years now....her son moved here to Jax Florida....

Lotta Polacks in South Bend

What a pretty sweet deal.
What about the part Guy welded? did you put the grinder together?

Last edited: