need a quik answer on this welder

JeffP1167

It is a lincoln weld-pac 100 .... will this be able to tack my frame on my 82 vette strong enough till I can hire someone to structural weld everything and also weld up a jig for my frame?

3L53Mb3Nc5L85Gb5M4caa823c662701561c87.jpg

Well, I bought it. Got it for 250.00 work perfectly and hasn't been used a lot. Guess to make it work with gas it is setup but need to buy the kit for it. Came with a cart and everything. I think it will be able to tack weld my 82's frame fine and then just have the structural welds professionally done. One step closer to the 82 getting C4 suspension.

welder003.jpg

welder001.jpg

welder002.jpg

no, but it'll tack nicely.... that one is really good for bodywork, not so much for frame work, and especially not with flux core wire. Get the gas valve and run tri-mix with the thickest wire you can run in the welder - that 'should' get you enough, but it certainly won't be strong enough to test a joint

I had a 120 Miller, and I'm sorry I sold it when I bought my 175 - it'd be nice to have a welder that doesn't blow big holes in light-gauge material

no, but it'll tack nicely.... that one is really good for bodywork, not so much for frame work, and especially not with flux core wire. Get the gas valve and run tri-mix with the thickest wire you can run in the welder - that 'should' get you enough, but it certainly won't be strong enough to test a joint

I had a 120 Miller, and I'm sorry I sold it when I bought my 175 - it'd be nice to have a welder that doesn't blow big holes in light-gauge material

Your talking like the frame is 1/4 inch thick steel, I highly doubt any part of a vettes frame is more then 1/8 inch. It all looks pretty thin walled to me except maybe where they have two pieces welded together.

I only bought it for tack welding my parts on my frame and then letting my friend with a industrial grade welder finish it. I'm also going to use it to to weld up a jig to center my suspension.

Aside from that my only other uses for it will be light duty work such as welding precats on my exhaust, muffler hangers stuff like that.

You asked an opinion. As basis of that opinion, I've been welding professionally for 15 years, and have welded for nearly 35 years.

The welder you bought is the lightest welder available, they sold them at Home Depot and such for ~ 450; those particular welders were made in China. If I had to weld your frame - and I could weld both sides and V both sides, I would use your welder. But I wouldn't trust the welds. The problem with your welder is it doesn't get that hot - even on "D" setting. So when you weld, you get a narrow band heated in the welding process. Narrow beads aren't very strong - but they're awesome if you're welding panels on a car because you don't get heat soak as quickly.

FWIW, I'm not in love with Lincolns, I had a 140 for lots of years and it spent a lot of time in the shop. Of course, that was commercial work - so we'd run it past its duty cycle almost every time we used it (not to mention the number of times it was hauled up the side of a building on a rope)

I also think you paid the right price for it given its apparent very clean condition.

Last edited:
Tack with flux core and gas shield. Flux has deeper penetration. Use tri mix, He increases weld heat too. V groove to get root access. Final welding with bigger machine and fish plates is a must.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

I was playing with the welder a bit today and grinded down these two suspension bolt then ran down the center on each side then filled it. It seems to do okay so I should be able to tack my stuff fairly easy.

welding002.jpg

welding2004.jpg

Last edited:
I would practise a little more.

Lower travel speed to get better penetration. Are you using gas?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

very similar to my welder, it will do structural welds on the frame just fine.

You have grafted frame parts on with one like it?

Not frame parts but I have welded 1/8" steel with it and it was just fine, I chamfered both sides so basically V-grooved it and then moved slowly and moved slightly side to side.. It produced a nice root too :)

If you know a professional welder then it's a no-brainer... Tack weld and have him finish it ....

very similar to my welder, it will do structural welds on the frame just fine.

You have grafted frame parts on with one like it?

Not frame parts but I have welded 1/8" steel with it and it was just fine, I chamfered both sides so basically V-grooved it and then moved slowly and moved slightly side to side.. It produced a nice root too :)

If you know a professional welder then it's a no-brainer... Tack weld and have him finish it ....

But it should be fine for motor mounts, front bumper mounts, batwing mounts. I don't think this frame has a bit of rust other then surface rust at the most. While I don't have the frame off I did check in the "A" pillar where the door hinge and body mount bolts are and it looks perfect in there.

Here are some pics of the underside, do you all think this frame will have rust issues?

partsforsale002.jpg

partsforsale001.jpg

partsforsale014.jpg

partsforsale015.jpg

partsforsale011.jpg

Cut thru the weld on your two bolts- you'll be able to see exactly how deep the weld went. USe a hacksaw or a cutoff wheel, then have a look. It'll tell.

ya umm you want to tack stuff with it fine. there is no such thing as a structural weld with a 110volt welder and if you think that you can make that frame weld with it then you do not have the experience to be doing it. not being a dick. just be safe. you can make all your pieces and put them in place but have someone with a 220volt mig or a tig finish it up for you.