1950 Buick Sledanette

nice..... on my 37 I made the floor boards totally removable so you could have easy access to everything below

and if you source the right seats they have the retractable seat belts already in them....a great advantage

I've considered that, but I'm not a fan of rattles. Which is short for "I dunno yet"

The big question right now is do I put a cage in it, if so, how? (attach to the frame, make bolt-through mounts, attach the body to the floorboard?) Also, do I lower the floor, I'm chopping the top so headroom could be an issue....

I've considered that, but I'm not a fan of rattles. Which is short for "I dunno yet"

The big question right now is do I put a cage in it, if so, how? (attach to the frame, make bolt-through mounts, attach the body to the floorboard?) Also, do I lower the floor, I'm chopping the top so headroom could be an issue....

At 6'5" and age 72 with arthritis up the spine, I find it much easier to drop my top than chop my top......:bump:

by rights, this car will be far faster then any cage I'm willing to put in it. I think funny car cages in street cars a limited application at best. In this case I want frame rigidity and the ability to walk away from a barrel roll. That said, I'll never use this in anger on the street, and funny car cages would kill you without the proper helmet and harness....

There is a large part of me that wonders if I'd be better off simply getting a tube frame and hang the body from the cage.

Super Chevy Nova's Handbook HP1339: Restoration, Upgrades and Street Performance for 1962-1967 Chevy Novas

It has some hard to find details. Also, if you are interested in state of the art pro mod Tim McAmis has some videos that come with his chassis kits.

Door slammer series

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DGYKK5wHk7Q[/ame]

I find these videos from Mcamis interesting technically, but beyond anything I'd ever attempt.

Last edited:
good stuff, thank you

been a week of cutting the floor out and making sure the body doesn't collapse to the floor.... I have a plan, but it involves moving most of the shop.... when it cools down a bit.
first, catalog the damage (I should just take one picture, there's damage everywhere)
P8040004_zps95hhpk6w.jpg

P8040005_zpskvvpzxf9.jpg

P8160001_zpsmwasgw6u.jpg

P8160002_zpscck5od1e.jpg

P8170004_zpsm9pasjxc.jpg

more carnage, later.

There is a large part of me that wonders if I'd be better off simply getting a tube frame and hang the body from the cage.

This^^^^^^

Another thought, some guys use an s10 frame, a Corvair body is one swap. Lots of s10's in the junk yard.

But, it will be interesting to watch your build, no matter which direction you go.

I've done the s-10 frame swap... never again. the biggest issue is nothing is flat, it's either tending up or tending down. On top of that, the rear kick-up happens a lot closer to the cab and on a car it interferes with the floor

I'm looking forward to seeing what I come up with too :2nd:

I've done the s-10 frame swap... never again. the biggest issue is nothing is flat, it's either tending up or tending down. On top of that, the rear kick-up happens a lot closer to the cab and on a car it interferes with the floor

I'm looking forward to seeing what I come up with too :2nd:

:clap::yahoo: That is why my poor vette suffers so much, and it got it's revenge over the last few daze.....:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Time to drag back out the mock-up motor
P9060006_zpsueotmn3k.jpg

some assembly required
P9060007_zpsbpxqyzaw.jpg

someone asked about the flanges. I had lots of these made....
P9060008_zpspn3cy6xy.jpg

I'm still not 100% certain what it's going to look like when done - but I like doing headers, so it's kind of like playing with Legos, if I don't like it I Hulk smash and start over

so I was between projects tonight so I figured I'd continue planning. I don't think I've gone any further...

the biggest problem with putting turbos on the car is I'm replacing a long, narrow motor for a short fat one... so where to put them?
PC070070_zpsdnlcbqer.jpg

PC070071_zpsmte2pkd2.jpg

this has possibilities, but I think I need to move them down.... of course, it's cold and dark outside where the Buick is... so I dunno
PC070072_zpszsryqkpr.jpg

PC070073_zpsxdgmahrr.jpg

Have I mentioned I'm going to make this thing drive with the 'old' motor that's in it? the motor needs bearings, but it ran when parked - so as long as the rings aren't rusted.... I need to roll it into the shop anyway so that I can get a better view of where to place the turbos... while I'm at it.. wheeee.

Another 1950 Buick build you might find interesting,

Half a Buick sedan Chevy half-half pickup being built in Bangkok by a friend.

The project first began Sep. 2016 .... a 1950 Buick car purchased on Ebay droped on a 05 Chevrolet Colorado pickup frame.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=46572.jpg

The gasoline pipe has to be rerouted. And now it's time to cover the rear wheels from above, left and right of the bed floor.
The tailgate is being installed . That "Buick" sticker is just used as a mark to do the embossed "Buick". And hey! they forgot to underline the word "Buick"
story \/
http://www.bangkokclassiccar.com/forum/index.php?topic=46572.0

Last edited: