linear actuator control ??'s

Diagram attached for both 2 and 3 wire actuators. Both show polarity with headlight switch off and actuator retracted.
actuatorwiring.jpg

Last edited:
Diagram attached for both 2 and 3 wire actuators. Both show polarity with headlight switch off and actuator retracted.
actuatorwiring.jpg

NO offense to you Gary, but I hate that shit the way it's drawn....show me the friggin' contacts in relaxed position the way electricals are SUPPOSED to be drawn.....them diagrams like that are a PIA for anyone troubleshooting a damn thing.....I dunno what idiot came up with that but it's getting more popular for the brain dead, I suppose....but it's just that brain dead.....eff em forever....

and them stupid NUMBERS on the relay and shit, where in hell they get numbers in the 80's for that...85, 87, etc....???

Jeeeze, guess I hit a nerve....LOL
Actually I prefer the "EE type" diagrams too. But I suspect these types of diagrams are used because they're easier to understand for a novice wiring it. I expect a squiggly line with a stick figure of an aligator mouth would get a lot more blank stares than the "block diagram" of a relay.
BTW, I'm kind of the same way with hydraulic fittings, they're either JIC or SAE......
And that was some of my better "artwork" done in ppt!
actuatorwiring.jpg

NO offense to you Gary, but I hate that shit the way it's drawn....show me the friggin' contacts in relaxed position the way electricals are SUPPOSED to be drawn.....them diagrams like that are a PIA for anyone troubleshooting a damn thing.....I dunno what idiot came up with that but it's getting more popular for the brain dead, I suppose....but it's just that brain dead.....eff em forever....

and them stupid NUMBERS on the relay and shit, where in hell they get numbers in the 80's for that...85, 87, etc....???

Last edited:
Yeh, beats me pencil sketches and lines drawn crazy all over the paper for a schematic of WTF I did in the car....bunch of old stuffs only me can understand...but at least I drew a relay correctly....Well, somewhat, anyway....

Update on my electric wiper door

I got all of the dash in and electrical hooked up. The electric wiper door works perfectly. Someone should put together a kit for these things. All that's needed is a bracket, actuator, switch, diode, and 2 relays, about $100 in parts.
15actuator.jpg

I got all of the dash in and electrical hooked up. The electric wiper door works perfectly. Someone should put together a kit for these things. All that's needed is a bracket, actuator, switch, diode, and 2 relays, about $100 in parts.
15actuator.jpg

You really need 3 relays, one to control the power to the wiper motor, NO??

or you relying on that stock switch?? I installed int wipers long since before the linear actuator on my door....so I used the stock wiper motor/pumps, and this last go round, the wiper motor was changed to one without any pump and it's a generic pump of the era from GM....so I kept the power interrupt to the motor off the yellow wire....door has to be all the way open to actuate the motor....

hense the two burglar alarm contacts....one on the open side, another on the closed....

Nope only 2 relays. I went to a 77 wiper motor. It has a switched 12V+ and 2 grounds. The grounds (1 or both) is provided by the dash switch.
I used that switch to activate the 2 actuator relays by also providing grounds. They reverse the polarity as per the earlier disgram.
I swapped out the wiper door switch with a DPDT. Now it functions to activate the wiper motor (same as original) AND to limit the wiper door opening. The closed door limit uses the actuators internal switch.
Simple and stupid.

Nope only 2 relays. I went to a 77 wiper motor. It has a switched 12V+ and 2 grounds. The grounds (1 or both) is provided by the dash switch.
I used that switch to activate the 2 actuator relays by also providing grounds. They reverse the polarity as per the earlier disgram.
I swapped out the wiper door switch with a DPDT. Now it functions to activate the wiper motor (same as original) AND to limit the wiper door opening. The closed door limit uses the actuators internal switch.
Simple and stupid.

OH, ok, I have no source here in Jax Fl. for a decent microswitch to fit that install, so I subbed in Rat shack burglar alarm switches instead.....limit switches, really but the up position also makes the power relay close...

maybe I can rethink that circuit....

so many project itterations, I can't remember anymore...gotta pull the notes and re examine the problem, maybe simplify the wiring a bit more....

:confused2::fishing::eek:

The 3 wire actuator you describe would be easier to wire. All you'll need is a single spdt relay. Power from the headlight switch would energize the relay to power the up position of the actuator. No power from the headlight switch would power the down position. Still need a scematic? I'll see if I can scan something tomorrow.
BTW, can you provide a link to the actuator you're using?

This is perfect....:thumbs:

No - this is another project that needs more than just a driveway. I am selling the house I have now and buying another - with a GARAGE so I can do these things. :gurney: